Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm From Minnesota, Land of the Cold Air

Until this past winter, I’ve always thought Minnesota winters were fairly normal. Perhaps a bit colder and longer than elsewhere -- but not by much. Consequently, I assumed residents of other states were simply ignorant or ridiculously wimpy for fearing Minnesota’s annual chill.

I was wrong.

Well, perhaps not on the wimpy part -- but definitely in my assumption of others’ ignorance. Minnesota’s winters are not normal. A two-week visit to the Pacific Northwest last January revealed the harsh reality that winters outside my beloved state are much, much, warmer.

Today, Ann(i)e, my friend with too much Portland pride and not enough for the MPLA, sent me CNN Money’s list of the coldest cities in the nation. Minnesota dominates the list. In fact, thirteen of the top fifteen cities on the list are located in Minnesota. The only other towns to make the cut are Anchorage, AK at #4, and Sheboygan, WI at #11. Hastings, MN – the town that raised me well – is at a solid #7 on the list. How sobering.

Sobering it may be, but the reality of Minnesota’s colder-than-thou climate also gives me more reason to brag. I'm tougher than everyone else. So take that Portland and your tire chains!!! (JK Anne.)

I still have Minnesota pride. I'm from Minnesota, land of the cold air. I stole that line from Atmosphere, so I may as well continue with the theft. To all those who don't like Minnesota: "It sucks that you think where I’m from is wack, but as long as that’s enough to keep you’re a** from coming back!”

Go MN.

Editor's note: quotations are from Atmosphere's homeland-raving jam “Shh." Check it out.

3 comments:

Mike said...

colleen, I have good news from you. At first this made me sad. Then perplexed... Duluth is colder than the cities and it's not even on the list. Plus there are PLENTY of cities in AK and N. Dakota that are colder than MN. I was discussing with a co-worker and he pointed out that this isn't a list of the coldest cities in the US. It's a list of the coldest cities on the "best places to live" list. There are plenty of colder places in the US, they're just not worth living in. So, for cold weather, MN is the best place to live. How's that?

Colleen said...

This is good news!!! I may need to edit my entry after this. Good find.

crystal said...

As a native North Dakotan I am hurt that you didnt pay tribute to your freezing neighbors to the west! I can't stay mad too long though because I have to say I agree completely with your post. Us upper midwesterners are among the toughest in the US and until anyone lives through one of our winters they dont really know cold!!! I now live in the pacific northwest and am fully enjoying the mild weather :)