Sunday, November 22, 2009

Poor Grad Student Shares Money Saving Secrets

Though I do have a pretty good tuition deal, as a graduate student, I'm not exactly rolling in the dough. As a result, I make it a point to dig for deals in any and all of my purchases.

Apparently, my reputation for garnering good deals proceeds me. There have been several requests for me to post some of my money-saving tips on my blog (ok, maybe more like one request, but there should have been several:). So if you want to save some money, read up! Here are some of my favorite sites for the thrifty-at-heart.

The best site ever was recently brought to my attention by Anne, my internet informant. Seriously, it's awesome. www.gomusicnow.com is a Russian music site (in English!) that sells entire albums for around $1.50, and single songs for 9 cents. Take that iTunes! I'm not paying $1.29 for a single song. You can pretty much find any album you want on this site. PLUS, albums are released a week earlier on this site than they are in the U.S. The only catch (which is not really a catch) is that you have to put $25 on your account at first. Then, the site acts like a debit card, subtracting from you account as you purchase albums. As soon as songs are downloaded, they go directly to you iTunes player. Anyone who doesn't take advantage of this site is kind of weird.

Speaking of music, another great way to save money on music (without downloading from those illegal sites) is to share music with friends through Dropbox.com. You can just create a folder with a friend, and share music by dropping your mp3s in the dropbox, and downloading ones that were dropped for you.

When it comes to more tangible products, such as makeup, all I can say is ebay, ebay, ebay!!! Seriously people, NEVER pay full price for makeup. Whenever I need something, I head straight for ebay and usually get it for at the very least, 25% retail prices. My latest steal was six pigment eyeshadows from L'oreal, that retail at about $10 each. What did I pay for them? $8 for ALL. Score. Usually, these deals are possible because individuals will sell items on ebay at wholesale prices. Other things I usually nab on that site are lotions, Crest white strips, and just recently a North Face jacket for $70 off. It's sweet.

OK I have to start working on my homework. I don't want to. Go save some money!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, sharing music isn't any less illegal just because you know the person you're giving it to...

Mark said...

You're Gmail comment reminded me that I have that blogfeed thing too....except i had to go find it since my computer died.

I can make a cushy pair of insoles out of mousepads. Let me know if you need any.