Monday, August 27, 2007

Let's Be Honest...

For the past couple weeks I've been charged with a project at work that I actually don't mind (gasp!). I'm responsible for putting together and writing the awards booklet for our company's annual Service Awards. These are awards given to employees who have been at the company 10, 20, 25 and 30 years. According to legend, there have been the occasional 35 year-ers as well.

First of all, I just want to note that if I am ever at a company for that long, even ten years, please drag me away to Rome and entangle me in an elaborate Italian scandal involving wine and gorgeous Roman men. I have made similar vows to help other friends if they are found years down the road in the nightmares of their youth. Such as the time when I was a senior and promised my friend Kelly that if I ever found her extremely overweight, screaming at her kids to shut up in a Wal-Mart food court, I would dutifully pull her away by the ends of her greasy hair. So friends, please pull through for me as well.

Carrying on, I've been interviewing the long, long-timers; those with 25 or more years of exciting employment, asking them why they've stuck around. Today I interviewed a 30 year vet of the inventory dept, and I asked her why she has chosen sto stay here so long, what she's liked about it.

Her hesitation at the end of my question was more than obvious. So I padded the landing a bit. "That is, of course, if there's more than just the pay!" I said, half joking just to ease solemnity of the truth.

"Well," she said. "I guess there does come a point in your career where you can't make what you do somewhere else, because you have all the skills needed here. Plus the benefits are good, and I like the people," she added, almost convincingly.

So I say, "Do you like what you do or is it pretty boring?"

"Well, it can be pretty dull at times. But there are always new challenges."

Her tone said it all. Let's be honest. She doesn't really like her job. The challenges she speaks of, well she probably doesn't want them. Maybe I'm making assumptions but it seems that one of the main reasons she's stuck around so long, is because she wasn't able to get the same amount of pay somewhere else.

This may be fine for her, and I'm sure she loves her life and I'm not sure if she has any regrets, but for my life, I desperately want something different. I don't want to look back at the past 30 years and know that I was in the same position because I was too scared to do anything else, too starved for security. Because for me, that's the only thing that would trap me somewhere for 30 years, unless of course, it was God's desire.

So, God willing, I'm going to make a vow right now to take chances. I'm going to go to Europe so I'm not one of those 60 year-old guys Mike and Brett talk to that keep saying I wish I would have gone there. I want to do the "I wishes" now, because for some unknown blessing of God, I have the option. For lack of a better ending and because I have to get up now I will leave you with my new life motto: Make a Wish, Take a Chance, Make a Change and Breakaway.......Hey you can make fun of Kelly Clarkson, but look where it took her:)

7 comments:

Laura Ibsen said...

I see your point and agree, but I do think there's merrit to be found in sticking it out and doing a thankless job for a lot of years to provide for your family or something. I think there's honor in that.

Colleen said...

No I know, that's why I said that I'm sure she loves her life and doesn't have regrets.

but, btw, she doesn't have kids...

Mike said...

Baby boomers = just happy to have a job. GenXers = wants to be a fireman when he grows up but works in an office for now.

Laura Ibsen said...

She doesn't have kids? Is she married? What does she do with all her money? Travel? I have so many questions now...

You should ask her what she considers to be her biggest life achievements are. Making money isn't a goal in and of itself, it's always to add to the bigger picture.

Brett said...

There is honor in grinding it out...but only if there is a purpose or a reason for the grinding...like providing for a family. Otherwise, grinding away is ridiculious...waht are you grinding for? Social Status? To make someone else happy? False security?

Laura Ibsen said...

Crack habbit?

You may want to keep an eye on this one, Beanie.

Unknown said...

I'm happy to see that you are still keeping your promise to me!!! I may need it some day if I really lose it and go down a path of endless eating and baby making...