Monday, September 29, 2008

The Chicken Dance Seriously Needs Some Apple Bottom Jeans

I went to another wedding this weekend. It was Tammy’s though so it was a rockin’ good time. However, it made me wonder how certain songs were able to obtain the revered status of “a song that has to be played at every flipping wedding.” What, oh song, did you do? Do we have modern day payola on our hands?? Are the B 52’s bribing every single wedding DJ in the U.S. so the memory of “Love Shack” will never fade??

 

If this is the case, I’m personally going to start bribing DJ’s to ditch their corrupt list, which always suspiciously consist of songs such as “The Chicken Dance,” or “The Hokey Pokey.” Why, for any reason other than money, would intelligent DJ’s feel the need to reach back into time 50 years and give these songs another spin. I mean, the least they could do is come up with a Ludacris remix of the Hokey Pokey. Sheesh. Other songs on the eternal wedding list include ‘classics’ like “YMCA,” or “Celebrate Good Times,” “Footloose,” “Billy Jean,” “The Twist,” and “The Electric Slide.” I would like to genuinely thank whoever sings “Cupid Shuffle,” for coming up with a song that could replace The Electric Slide on wedding dance floors everywhere by 2050. Just in time for my wedding.

 

As the keeper and generator of the “community song request list,” at every wedding I go to (I always ask people to add to my list, thus diversifying the request choices and increasing the chance they will play the songs I want…haha.), I am going to make sure that people don’t “Twist,” or “Do the Locomotion,” at my wedding. Instead, when/if that fateful day arrives, shorty gonna put on some apple-bottom jeans and get low. 

3 comments:

Mark said...

I think it may have something to do with wedding guests being older than us and adhering to more traditional values. Thus they find songs about asses a little offensive. When i get married, there will be no dj, no music, and no dancing. probably no alcohol either. i probably won't invite my friends...well i will but they won't come...because a plane ticket to colombia will be too expensive.

Mike said...

No love shack at your wedding? I'm out.

I think it's different if you're 40-120 and only go to weddings once every year or two. 20 a year makes you sick of these songs faster.

LaFlacaD said...

Randomly found your blog and i gotta say I agree with you and I am a DJ. I think many people agree with you but there are many DJ's out there that stay to the tried and true 'classics' but I have to say there are many out there like me that realize that there is SOOOO much good music out there that is so much better then these tired standards. So when your time comes around just search those dj's out. They're the ones that will be able to throw songs back and forth with you and understand your music choices.

They are out there.