Sunday, April 26, 2009

I know I Said Three Weeks But....

I know I said three weeks, but I just have to briefly relay what my grandmother said this morning. I was eating lunch with my family after my cousin's, daughter's baptism (I'm her Godmother, my first time in such an important position). So my grandma's wearing this gorgeous necklace and she's like, "Colleen, do you like my necklace?" I'm like, "yeaahh, it's beautiful, where did you get it??"

Grandma: "It's vintage, it's from the 1940s. You know why I never wear it?"

Me: "No..."

Grandma: "It's because I got it from the other guy. The one that I was seeing when I got engaged to your grandfather."

Me: "Hahahaha, so you figure 13 years after Grandpa died you could now wear it?"

Grandma: (Shrugs). "I suppose."

That's right. My grandmother was seeing someone else when she got engaged to my grandpa. Apparently he was in Germany, and had been for awhile, so, um, I guess stuff changes?? Ha. Things were different back then. The poor fella got a killer break-up note I'm sure. Sorry, we have to break up, I'm engaged to another man."

That is one part of my grandmother's history I will definitely not repeat:) You have to be pretty smooth to get away with that - and I'm kind of the opposite of anything 'smooth.'

5 comments:

Mike said...

That's hilarious! The other guy's kicking himself for not proposing first :) p.s. told you so, you blogged!

Mark said...

My great grandmother was a "picture-bride"

that's the only weird story i know about my ancestors. And that my grandpa is really bummed that the ol folks home doesn't have a shooting range.

Laura Ibsen said...

The old folks home my grandma is in has paint ball tournaments and archery. She's living the high life.

Colleen said...

you'd think paint ball would kill an old person! Mark is a "picture bride" a mail-order bride? Weird.

Laura Ibsen said...

Hmmm... maybe I should become a mail-order bride.