Monday, September 21, 2009

Mall of America: Worse than Lady Gaga

Everyday as I stand waiting for the bus, I see a bus pass by with a Mall of America ad plastered to its side. I would just like to take this moment to say that I hate Mall of America ads, because they shamelessly promote unadulterated consumerism worse than Lady Gaga.

The ad I saw today pictured a woman holding a gorgeous purse, and said, "Is that a new purse, or did you just get more interesting?" Horrible! However, that one is nothing compared to the one I saw yesterday, which stated something like, "You can always get better looking." Alluding, of course, to the idea that 1) you should get better looking (duh), and 2) MOA clothing and accessories will make you better looking.

I hate these stupid ads! Especially, since I look at them and think - "oh, sweet, I need that new purse it is so cute. The one I'm carrying sucks!" I am easily swept up into the material world. This is not a positive character trait that I want promoted by Mall of America.

Whew. Okay that's all. I just needed to rant. Because I'm still dreaming of that quilted, black, Coach purse that swept by via a Metro Transit bus this afternoon...

1 comment:

Mark said...

Colleen, what you need is a new car. Like a Lexus! Then you wouldn't have to ride that stupid bus everyday.