Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Deep Thoughts on the Next Decade

I feel bad for people who are going to graduate in this upcoming decade. Not because of jobs, or air pollution or whatever, but because it's going to be awkward saying their graduation year.

This enlightening thought popped into my mind as I was crossing the Washington Ave. Bridge this afternoon. I noticed a sign that read "Help welcome the class of 2014." I then realized that this year's graduating class was the class of '10. The class of '10. That sucks. You ask someone when they graduate and they say "ten." Ten what? Ten days, ten months? Just think about saying, "I'm the class of '11." The class of 11. It just doesn't sound right. The number is low enough where it sounds like there are eleven people in your class.

In addition to feeling sorry for the upcoming graduating classes, I began to realize how old I am becoming. Whew! Oh well. To quote Oscar Wilde, "What is youth but an unripe time?" I am much happier now than I ever was in my early twenties. Granted, I'm not actually old yet but whatever... I'm choosing to believe that life gets better with age.

Plus, the class of '05 doesn't sound awkward. Sure, I graduated in a decade that no one could decide what to name (the Ots? 2000s? Tens?), but at least the individual years sound good. That's more than the "teens" decade will be able to say.

1 comment:

Mark said...

The world will end in 2012

That is why I am going to Hawaii tmrw.