Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Memoirs of Africa - My Series

I haven't felt like keeping up a blog lately. I think it's because I'm forced to write at a computer all day long, and the last thing I want to do is write some more when I come home. However, I found a solution. I'm going to begin a series my friends - one that features my journal entries from Africa, raw and uncut. Let me warn you before I begin, the entries don't paint myself in a great light -- but that's okay because I like to say I'm unpretentious, and I feel like they should be shared.

So part one takes us back to the London airport in late July...

7/20/07 - London
Our flight to Kenya is just about to take off. It's amazing how big the world is. I mean, you hear about these places in the news, but they aren't real until you are there. London's airport has more diversity than I've ever seen. It's different watching British news, and paying $8 for a stupid latte. There's just so much we don't know. Jesus, I pray you would help me to love others during this trip as you do - humbly. Show me yourself Lord. Seeing all these different kinds of people and places not only makes the world bigger, but it makes God bigger as well.


7/20/07 - On the Airplane
I am still on the flight to Kenya from London. I've slept most of the way and even still this is a long ride. It's been amazingly nice though, because the flight was so empty that we got our own row and got to lie down. We all slept. We will end up getting to Nairobi in an hour - which I think will be about 10:00 p.m. Nairobi time.

I've made friends with one of the flight attendants, and he's convinced that he's taking my group out to the Nairobi pubs after the flight. "In Kenya, one beer means two," he said as he handed me a second free beer (best thing about Kenya Air!). I told him he was lying and he said, "No! You will see, I will take you out to the pubs. You ask for one beer, and they give you two!"

He's a nice flight attendant, but I'm pretty sure we're not going to the pubs:)

OK it's 9:30 Nairobi time here - another hour means 10:30=LATE. Even though I just woke up I feel I could probably sleep another eight hours with the help of an Ambien. This sleep/clock/jet lag thing is going to be ridiculous.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Should I be inviting girls to pubs more often? Or bars I guess? Did one beer really mean two? Or just cause the guy liked you? You should throw your whole journal up online.

Love,
Mark

Colleen said...

Um, well I don't think one beer meant two because at the end of the trip we went to a pub in Kenya and I only got one drink when I asked for one. BUT - on Kenya Airways, one beer definitely means two. You get two for FREE!

Michael said...

Hi Colleen,
I don't know if you even remember me but we went to Church and High School together. I enjoy your writing and am glad I'm not the only "confused TwentySomething" out there. I wanted to say thanks for sharing your Africa experience on here. I almost went to Tanzania with Our Saviour's in 2008 but it didn't work out with work. So I'm chaperoning a middle school mission trip to Canada this summer instead. But I'm excited to read about your experience in Africa. And one of these days hope I have one of my own!

Advent Blessings!
Mike Swanson