Monday, February 11, 2008

Employee of the Year

Friday afternoons at work usually seem to last an eternity, mainly because my motivation-meter dips below the red. Last Friday, however, I fortunately discovered that some peoples motivation lags even further behind mine.

The guy who sits on the other side of my “workstation,” was out for a couple hours Friday. I’ll call him Ben, mainly because that is his name. So my company hasn’t been doing exactly “well,” lately, and a lot has been up in the air. Some people, like me, have taken on extra work as a result of this – while others, like Ben – have become pretty bored. Now Ben has a pretty good job here too, he reports directly to the VP of Investor Relations, so it’s not like he’s some peon like me. Anyway so Ben disappears at like 11:00 a.m. on Friday. This is normal. Around 2:00 p.m. he strolls casually back into the office.

“Did I miss anything exciting around here?” He asks.

As usual, I reply, “Nope, nothing, just same exciting announcements on discount ticket sales,” or something like that. Then I realized the time and asked, “Where the heck were you?”

“Oh, out,” he replies.

“Out?” I question. “Where is out?”

“Well do you really want to know?

“Obviously,” I reply.

“I went to a movie.”

WHAT? Are you serious? I pretty much cracked up. Ha. He said that he was sick of being bored and he kept asking for stuff to do to no avail; so he went to see There Will be Blood. He said his wife thought that was pretty bad – I gave him crap but c’mon, I kind of have to applaud him. Sneaking out to go to a movie during the day – genius :). If only the world could have more employees like “Ben.”

6 comments:

Laura Ibsen said...

And they say there aren't any heros anymore. :u)

Beans - just give him some of your stuff to do. Or have him balance your checkbook or something. The boss would probably see you as a real go-getter with upper management written all over you.

Mark said...

are you trying to say that you are the employee of the year because you work and everyone else watches movies?

i'd have to agree with you. if i were a go-getter i'd make you a card. laura, i forgot to make you a card. i'm sorry, i guess i will make you a poem.

Laura,
is adventurous,
like dora the exlplora
she is so great,
you can't ignora

i spelled the words like they sound to add to the rhyming effect.

Colleen said...

actually I was saying he was the employee of the year for pulling that off!

Laura Ibsen said...

Mark - thanks for that excellent poem. It makes me want to go climbing with you. You know, for the adventure of it all.

I'm not too great with gravity or coordination, though. Maybe I could be the person who holds the rope. I'm a much better anchor than a climber.

Brett said...

I'm pretty sure I could have left TAJ for three hours to see a movie as well. No one ever really cared or knew.

Maybe thats why I got laid off? Haha.

-Brett

Mike said...

I often go home and watch half a movie over lunch. Hour long TV shows on DVD are perfect because they're 42 minutes. That leaves 18 minutes to drive to/from work and prepare a simple yet delicious lunch. I can't say I've ever left for three hours though....