Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Long Rant About People Obsessed Wth Theology

I’ve decided that theology completely annoys me most of the time. Why? Mainly because many people can become obsessed with their particular theological viewpoint – and instead of focusing on drawing nearer to God, they focus on drawing nearer to their viewpoint and become blinded to God along the way.

It bothers me. The last time I checked, Jesus said that the two greatest commandments were love God with your whole heart, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. Well --- who is your neighbor you say? According to the good Samaritan story Jesus told – everyone.

Now I don’t meant to pick on Calvinists – but sorry to say they often are the most likely breed to become obsessed with their theology – denouncing Armenians, open-theists, post-moderns and charismatic’s of “heresy.” People – Jesus’ biggest prayer is that we would be united. How is burning bridges with other denominations who still worship Christ as Savior creating unity??? IT’S NOT. Let’s take this lovely conversation I recently found on a blog. Larry King is interviewing Rick Warren – who has brought God to so many people.

Rick Warren said that there are five “Global Goliaths” that need to be immediately addressed in the world: spiritual emptiness, egocentric leadership, extreme poverty, pandemic diseases and illiteracy and education. Now, how does it work?

Now this is how the blogger responds:
“There are few things as grievous as hearing a pastor describe the greatest problems facing humanity without coming anywhere near sin and the need for a savior. The closest he comes is 'spiritual emptiness, people don't know they have a purpose.'"

Are you freaking KIDDING ME?!!!? Why?! Can’t you address the good he said in that statement? Those are ALL things that Jesus commands – but just saying that “well, the problem with the world is that everyone’s a sinner and needs Jesus,” on secular TV will most likely make him a joke. No – he wants to SHOW people the gospel and introduce it to them in a way they understand and that will draw them in. He’s being shrewd. He’s loving others. In my opinion anyway.

I don’t know – I’m also catching myself as I write this and wondering if perhaps it is my intentions that are warped. What do others think. Should he have mentioned that as number one on his “global goliaths” list?

Regardless I think weird blogger needs to get a grip of reality – and start following Jesus himself by loving others instead of putting them down. And yes, this guy was a Calvinist – and you know he didn’t even say that – I assumed that he was from his statement and when I looked around the site, I found my assumptions to be true. I don’t want to become like this guy and dis all Calvinists because yes they do a lot of good for Christ – but theology debates in general are getting on my nerves.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Colleen, you just need to relax, of course it is God's will that you are just the way you are but it is also his will that you relax and so you will because I told you to because that was God's will for me.

And Rick warren maybe should have said something about God willing something but it wasn't God's will to do so so he didn't because he does what God wills.

I also find it odd sometimes that people get frustrated when others don't believe that everything that happens is the will of God because they should know that the other person hasn't been chosen by God and what's the point of arguing unless it is of course G's W and then when they are frustrated it is a blessing.


I just reread this comment and I don't understand it, but I will post it anyway.
PS, I am not ripping on any one denomination....unless of course

Laura Ibsen said...

I know what you mean about theology. I've never been that interested in it. Loving God and your neighbor is proving to be quite a complicated endeavor in and of itself without trying to follow some random person's ideas as well. (1 Cor. 1: 12-13)

Anyway, yeah. My brain has the same reaction when people start talking theology as when my teachers started on advanced calculus: it shuts down out of self-defence for the boredom that's about to ensue.

Unknown said...

are you ever going to blog again?