Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Having a baby won't save a troubled marriage, research finds

Wow. This news, found yesterday in the Chicago Tribune, is utterly shocking. I ALWAYS thought that throwing a baby into a troubled marriage would heal a marriage better than love potion #9 and counseling from Dr. Phil combined. Turns out I am wrong.

Dang! Good thing I learned that before having a baby to fix marital problems that may or may not arise in my future. I am so thankful that researchers at Berkeley put in the time, effort and money to conduct a study that has inhibited my potential future mistake. I mean, the results were so... unpredictable and surprising. Who would think that the continuous cries, sleepless nights, decrease in discretionary income and elimination of a social life WOULDN'T fix a marriage.

Please. It was my hope that society was beyond such a research study as this. Babies are amazing and all, but obviously, if a couple is looking for a fix - they might just be better off trying cocaine. (OK DISCLAIMER: I was joking please don't do cocaine. Pray. That is a much better solution.)

4 comments:

Lee H. Baucom, Ph.D. said...

Nice tongue-in-cheek! Unfortunately, I have sat with MANY couples that missed the obvious. . . they threw a baby into the middle of a bad marriage as a fix. Turns out it was just glue, sticking the trouble together!

Maybe "obvious" ain't so obvious? :-)

Lee H. Baucom, Ph.D.
author of Save The Marriage

Mark said...

I agree, these studies are dumb. I don't see why need a study to point out the obvious. I agree with Lee that there are many couples who don't seem to assume this, but that doesn't mean the study is anything other than a waste of time. It's like saying that people are often late for work and so to get to the bottom of the issue a Uni does a study to see if leaving earlier has any correlation to arriving to work on time. They will probably prove that someone who is consistently 15 minutes late will be on time if they leave 15 minutes earlier. And that is a valid study. It's also stupid.

Mark said...

also, while it may not make the marriage last, at least the women can be saved through childbearing!

Laura Ibsen said...

Nice touch at the end there Mark.