Wednesday, April 11, 2007

NOW that's what I call music: Top Pop Songs

Everybody! Rock your body because this is the post you have been waiting for!
After thorough research – I have developed a list of top 21 (I needed 21 spots) pop hits of my time. “My time” begins sometime around 1995 and continues to this very moment. Although I tried to refrain from putting super-current hits on the list (such as “Irreplaceable”) because being new, I am still in the honeymoon stage of my relationship with them, and may have a somewhat blinded opinion.

Also – I am sure this list will change in the coming days as more hits come to my mind and others alert me to memories faded. That being said here is my compilation (OK and I started out doing least to greatest, but I couldn’t really rank the last ten, so the top ten are ranked and the last ten are all tied for “last ten”:


21) Wannabe, Spice Girls (1998): The tune turned the world to "SpiceWorld" for a good three years.
20) One, Two Step, Ciara (2005): This song will rock it and not stop it forever.
19) Lose Yourself, Eminem (2002) – I put this one in even though it reminds me of times I want to forget…And it did win an Oscar, I’m pretty sure it was the first rap song to win an Oscar, plus it was the only thing that made 8 Mile good.
18) Toxic, Britney (2003) – UM I ALMOST FORGOT about this song. This is taking Michelle Branch's place.
17) Complicated, Avril Lavigne (2002) – Ahh…the debut of Avril. Don’t you remember her ties and skater chic video? I do. Plus this whole CD is going on my “top albums list.
16) Hips Don’t Lie, Shakira (2006) – I took a belly dancing class being singularly inspired by this one video.
15) Angel of Mine, Monica (1999) – Okay okay so I have nostalgic bias to this song. Ten bucks to whoever can guess why I like it…If I weren’t being fairly objective on this list it would’ve been way further up in rankings.
14) Ocean Avenue, Yellowcard (2004) – This song makes everyone 18 again.
13) Where is the Love, Black Eyed Peas/Justin (2003) – A combination of two musical geniuses, one old song, and an inspirational message equates to GREATNESS.
12) Crazy In Love, Beyonce (2003) – This is just one of those songs that will never get old.
11) Slave for You, Britney (2001) – Who can forget the snakes? I loved the snakes.
10) This Love, Maroon Five (2003)
9) Since You’ve Been Gone, Kelly Clarkson (2004/5) – Umm…perfect break up song. I always put this on the break-up CD’s I make for people. And yes, I make people break-up CD’s, sometimes it is needed. If you want one, break-up with your boy/girlfriend.
8) These Days, Rascal Flatts, 2002 – I don’t care who you are, this song brings you to a different place, a fabulous place.
7) Baby…One More Time, Britney, 1999 – This song is iconic. It began her career and inspired many schoolgirl/pigtail outfits. Plus her dance moves in this video are now a cultural norm. It’s true; Britney inspired me way too much in my teenage years…
6) Bye, Bye, Bye, ’NSync (2000) – I remember the first time I heard this song. I remember flipping out. I remember the way Justin stopped, looked at the camera and laughed in this video and my 16 year-old heart stopped. I remember my all-night senior grad party where boys who would never admit to knowing this song emulated its dance moves while hypnotized. This song is seriously a pop legend.
5) Ironic, Alanis Morisette (1996) – Rain on your wedding day got a whole lot worse thanks to Alanis. But hey, life also has a funny way of helping you out when you think everything’s gone wrong.
4) Waterfalls, TLC (1995) – I still have this whole rap part memorized. ‘you claim the insane and name the date and time for falling prey to crime I think the system’s got you victim to your own mind…’ RIP Left Eye, RIP.
3) I Want It That Way, Backstreet Boys (1999) – Amazing.
2) Always Be My Baby, Mariah Carey – While it is true that you have a problem if you cannot get over someone in forever, and that you will also be very depressed, this song is so great that it makes unrequited love seem like a fairy-tale fantasy.
1) Come on Over, Christina Aguilera (2000) – No matter how many times you play this song, it will never ever get old. It is the epitome of happy-go-lucky, roll your windows down with your girlfriends, dance on a summer night, universal pop fun. When this song is on, all is okay with the world.

4 comments:

Dominic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dominic said...

Yes! I think your top ten are pretty good. I really can't comment on anything past 1999, though. As soon as I got a car with a CD player, pop music and I said our sad goodbyes.

However... if you feel like making any revisions, here would be my suggestions.

I Saw the Sign - Ace of Base
Baby Got Back - Sir-Mix-A-Lot
I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
Something by Prince

Dominic said...

And my sister helped me think of these:

Faded - Soul Decision
MMMBop - Hanson
Wannabe - Spice Girls
Gettin Jiggy Wit It - Will Smith
Livin La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio
U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer

Some of these might not really count as "pop" but I think they each have proven themselves to be equally cool based on how often they were played at school dances and how often we would sing them in high school.

Colleen said...

Haha - now I think some of your second suggestions would work. The first four, however, are all early early nineties so they don't make the 1995 cut-off.

I agree with Faded - I even saw Soul Decision in concert. I will have to make a amendment:)