Tuesday, April 17, 2007

So...what makes me so "hip":)

The other day, as I was reading the City Pages, eating sushi and drinking red wine in my uptown duplex, I was struck by a realization. Perhaps, I am becoming and urban hipster!

I mean – sure – I love to go to Caribou, but only the uptown one, and I order tea most of the time I go. Plus, I have recently found myself engaging in all sorts of "urban hipster" activities, such as searching thriftyhipster.com, taking dance lessons at a downtown studio, and attending concerts that don't cost $80 and don't have the names "Britney," or "Justin," attached to them. (OK OK I would still like to see Justin, but.......that doesn't make me "unhip").

So you can all applaud me now:) That in the twilight of my twenty-third year, I am finally leaving my third-tier suburban upbringing behind and branching out to more mod frontiers. Sure, some of you will attribute this awakening or "re-definition" to my roommates; particularly Cristina's incessant social pleadings to partake in any event that peeks its head out, or Molly's ambitiously eclectic style - but personally, I would like to think that the new, trendy me has always been inside, and just need a safe environment to come out in...

Anyway, to smoothly segue into a new subject - the night in which I found myself with the sushi and wine - ended up beginning in an extremely "un-hip" way (picture a party in Inver Grove Heights that consisted of pop in plastic cups, and being greeted by the dad as we walked in with beer). So that got Molly and I engaged in the analyzation of social groupings. In other words; what makes people hang out with each other? Which factor is the heaviest determinant on who a person's 'group' will be? Is it education-level, beauty, upbringing, culture, talent-level? I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts, y'all. So to speak in 'hip' terms: "holler at me yo."

3 comments:

SK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SK said...

Hey! But that night ended at Dulono's in Uptown where we listened to bluegrass music and in the crowd we saw kids, old people, and mohawks. That was hip...

Colleen said...

You're right Sarah - that was VERY hip. I should've included that :)