Thursday, July 5, 2007

Um Who Cares, Oh Yeah Not Me

I am at work right now, dutifully avoiding a story that has been in the dugout for like two weeks now. It's up for bat tomorrow, however, so it finally has to get done if I want to keep my job. Most stories here I can write without too much blood, sweat and tears, and without too much complaining believe it or not. This one, however, is a doozie. And I am wishing it away like The Plague.

It's on our Settlement Operations group. Can we say BORING and WHO CARES. The thing is, no one cares, besides maybe the Settlement Operations group. Also, the thing about writing this story is this group has the most complicated job in the whole company. I met with the manager for an hour and still have no idea what his job is. Not kidding. I mean, in general I know what they do, they are in charge of balancing our 'cash flow.' So, making sure that everyone gets paid the right amount and all our money is kept track of. FUN! Don't you guys want to read the details of how exactly that is done?! Oh wait, no you don't. Because that would be agonizing and no one really cares as long as they get paid correctly. And guess what they do, so who cares. I have great logic.

It's just one of those things you don't need to know. Let's just pretend it's magic, I don't care. Like I pretend the trash is magic, or the Internet, that's magic too. I have no desire to figure out how this magic works... or it ruins the flippin' fun. I mean, how happy would you be about receiving a commission check from my company if, along with the check, you had to hear every minute detail, in language completely foreign to you, about how that money was placed in your hand, and what systems were used to place it there. NO. I'd PAY you that money back not to hear it! That's 30 minutes of my life that I can't get back! I could've used it for browsing the Internet, lecture free!!!

Ugh. I like writing stories employees hobbies/volunteerism/accomplishments much better. Because, they are actually worthwhile.

Alright, I'm going to suck it up, sit up in the ergonomically correct position and continue to use every ounce of energy my brain can provide to focus on figuring out and writing this article. Peace be with me.

4 comments:

Brett said...

More so then maybe anyone else who reads this...I completely understand.

Good luck...and may God have mercy on your soul. Seriously. Ha.

Now maybe I should get back to writing about subject that I don't understand...

Colleen said...

Brett I appreciate your empathy. You are my kindred work spirit..

Mike said...

I'd say you have your story done. Just use your blog. That'll go over :)

Molly Slovnik said...

Colleen---like I always say, I am going to be the first person to support you when you become a columnist...but I guess if you didn't have your day job you wouldn't have anything to write about...hmmm dilema...