Monday, July 2, 2007

Apparently, Lund's Has Really Good Seafood Salad

You know that cliché saying your mother always told you: “Beggars can’t be choosers…” Well apparently, she was wrong. I was with a friend at Calhoun square Saturday, shopping at the amazing Urban Outfitters sale, when a homeless man asked my friend if she could help him out. She asked him if he was hungry, and he said “very.”

Friend: Oh – do you want Jimmy John’s? I could grab something there?
Man (actually his name was Bobby): The deli at Lund’s has some great fried chicken, it’s right over there (pointing).
Friend: That’s not very good for you! What about some sandwiches, turkey?
Bobby: Yeah they have good sandwiches over there too
Friend: But no Jimmy John’s?? (It was the closest)
Bobby: Man, I hate Jimmy John’s.
Friend: OK well what kind of sandwiches do you like?
Bobby: They have some great seafood salad at Lund’s Deli, and if they don’t have that, great tuna.

This was the pickiest homeless guy I have ever met. I started laughing the moment he said “seafood salad.” 1. That’s not a sandwich. 2. How does he know every item on the Lund’s Deli menu? I have never even been there. 3. He was starving but still couldn't stomach Jimmy John’s 4. Seafood Salad??? He asked for that? Are you serious? Ha, that sounds like a delicatessen! I would never even buy myself seafood salad! Who even knows they have that at Lund’s?!

But my friend went over and bought him seafood salad and brought it back, and he was much obliged. Apparently, he was only waiting for his disability money to kick in before he could find a place to live. He had bi-polar disorder. Imagine being bi-polar and being homeless, well I suppose that is why he is homeless. Those illnesses are really expensive to treat, so you are kind of out of luck when you have no money. It’s sad. We are all very lucky. Well, at least he had some really great Lund’s seafood salad to much on the rest of the day. He probably was really hungry, and just couldn’t stomach any more take outs from Jimmy John’s. Oh America.

No comments: