Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Devil Came on Horseback

You know - up until tonight, I thought Darfur was a city.

It's not.

I'm pretty embarrassed to admit this - especially since I consider myself fairly well-read and "informed." I mean, I do browse the nytimes.com every day. So, it's funny nothing in there has caught my eye. I've heard the phrase "Save Darfur" a million times, but was never quite sure what needed saving -until tonight.

Please watch the Devil Came on Horseback. Make it a priority.

I have the movie if anyone wants to borrow it.

7 comments:

Joe said...

Was it filmed after Capt. Steidle wrote the book, or concurrently? I might have to pick this up. I wonder if we'll ever stand up to China's blockade of anything resembling effective sanctions against Sudan...I know they have UN veto power, but that's no reason the US can't do something.

Colleen said...

I'm not sure if it was after or before. I would guess probably around the same time. What's going on with China's blockade? I will have to google that...

Joe said...

They've got a neat little weapons trade going with the government of Sudan. Because they have veto powers on the UN security council, they threaten to use them when newly proposed UN sanctions are deemed too stiff by their standards, in return for money from Sudan for more weapons. So basically, they're preventing any truly effective UN proposals.

Colleen said...

Well that will just make them look bad if they veto that. Dumb communists... (ok ok, jk don't take offense people).

Mark said...

we just have to face it that we don't actually care about africa. if it weren't china selling them weapons...sadly, it would probably be us.


http://www.nypost.com/seven/01152008/news/worldnews/bush_seals_saudi_deal_380339.htm

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

stupid link...

i think if you double click on it and copy it it gets the whole thing...it did for me. i don't know why it doesn't display the whole thing. oh well, if it doesn't work and you're not already aware of the story maybe it's better you just don't know