Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Grad School and First Dates (Other Peoples, of Course)

So I have all night to myself and I'm not really sure what to do. I'm just sitting here right now, staring unproductively at the wall. I've decided that I might as well be somewhat productive though, and update my eager blog readers on My Eventful Life.

The most exciting thing first - I received a call from the director of grad studies at SJMC (who happens to be my former undergrad advisor, nepotism (evil laugh)...) Anyway he called to say I was accepted to the master's program in mass communication! On top of that, he said that they all agreed to offer me a financial aid package in which my tuition would be completely waived, and I would get a living stipend in exchange for being a teaching assistant! Sweetness. So that's good news to the nth degree really. It's a blessing actually. Hopefully, God willing, I will start in September!

In other realms of my life I'm contemplating taking up a strange, but fun new extracurricular activity; first-date eavesdropping. On accident, I had the chance to participate in this sport last Sunday at Starbucks. I pretended I was reading Mountains Beyond Mountains, but really, I was listening to every word uttered by the couple to the left of me. My book was good, but their conversation was just too interesting! I mean, they kept asking each other these questions and I kept answering them in my head. For example, she asked, "What would you do if you could do anything for one weekend in Minnesota?" He responded, "A nice dinner, then maybe a movie, a glass of wine."

BORING! Please - there's so many better activities to participate in. Like what about a musical? Sneaking behind Minnehaha Falls in the dark? Or playing games at Chatterbox or raiding Cole and Jess' living room for a rousing night of "Mafia." I'm trying to think of what I would do if I could do anything. I think I need some more specifications - like who would be with me, how much money would I have, or is there a time constraint? Then I could provide a more fitting answer - she asked kind of a bad question. Not as bad as his answer. Note to self for my next first date.

Or someone else's first date if I'm going to start taking notes. In fact, I'm bored right now. Maybe I will go wander my way into the Duplex. That's supposedly the best first date spot in MN, and it's only a block from my house. SCORE.

Onward.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

K, you're hilarious. I totally want to go eves-dropping with you sometime!

Colleen said...

Coley - you've read my blog!!!! This is very exciting. I hope you are feeling better...

Mark said...

Colleen, congrats on getting into grad school for free with free money!!

Also, if anyone ever asks me ?'s like that girl did, I am going to tell them that if I'm only here for the weekend I would rob a bank.

Are those normal date ?'s? To be honest...I've never been on a date. It's ok though, I'm only 19

Brett said...

Congrats on grad school Colleen.

Now you need to find out if it is worth for me to go. It is your new mission.

Colleen said...

Thanks y'all. So Brett - am I to decide this during my two years there or before? I need a timeline for such an impt. decision.

Mike said...

I don't like getting to know people. That probably sounds weird. I LOVE knowing people but I see small talk as a necessary but boring transition from strangers to friends. I'm a hit at parties, lol.

Laura Ibsen said...

If I could do anything I wanted for one weekend in MN, I'd either get all our friends together and spend the weekend in Lutsen skiing and dancing in the bar at night, or going up to the cabin with all our friends and boating, grilling, playing games, etc. Maybe that's why I don't have a boyfriend... I'm pretty sure the correct answer has something to do with romance of some kind, or actually doing something with a date.

Brett said...

Ooo...I think it is important to know at the end of your grad school time AND time afterwards to reflect if it was a good decision. So let me know in about 3 and a half years if you think it is a good idea.

Or just tell me after the first week. That clould work too.