Saturday, January 5, 2008

Nicely Said Cooper, Nicely Said

So I just started reading Cooper Anderson's book called "Dispatches from the Edge," and I just had to share something he wrote in the first chapter. It highlights my feelings regarding New Year's Eve splendidly - even though this year wasn't actually that bad.

"I've always thought New Year's Eve is proof that human beings are essentially optimistic creatures. Despite hundreds of years of pathetic parties and hellish hangovers, we continue to cling to the notion that it's possible to have fun on that night. It's not. There's too much pressure, too many expectations, and too little bathrooms."

Perfect! My thoughts exactly. Anyway, the rest of the book is pretty somber - but good.
I don't even have any adventures to speak of this New Year's Eve. It was pretty fun, thanks to my old crew from H-Town and Tessa. We spent the night trying to be randoms in peoples' pictures. At the end of the night, I took a taxi home. The driver had an accent and so I asked where he was from. He said "Africa."

Man, Americans must present themselves as pretty stupid if taxi drivers think that "Africa," is a specific enough answer! I laughed and said "Oh - but what country?" He said Ethiopia. I told him I'd been to Africa and he was thoroughly surprised.

I guess rightly so. A white girl in a tight black dress coming from a party in a downtown penthouse doesn't exactly scream third-world traveler. Anyway, he said that he wanted to go back there soon. He missed it, and liked it better. Funny how much home impacts us.

Then he dropped me off. I went home and fell asleep, welcoming the new year. When I was little, I never thought about being alive in 2008. My imagination only took me to 2004 - the year I was finally able to step into a bar.

Anyway, happy new year - five days ago:)

3 comments:

Mark said...

"cooper" sounds so wussy.

Please call him Mr. Anderson.

And say it like Keanu would.

Colleen said...

Um, Mark. Who's Keanu??? Reeves?

Joe said...

I believe you mean to say it how Agent Smith would...