Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Live from Atlanta: The Callahan's Dominate Trivia

Move over auto parts, the Callahan Family now has a new claim to fame: Trivia. That's right, tonight, the Callahan Family dominated bar trivia at the Blue Moon in Atlanta. We won second place - but it was a close fight to the finish. We lost to the first-place team in an overtime tie-breaker, with the question: "According to the Illinois Transportation Department, Lakeshore Drive is how many miles long?" Please! We said 52, the other team said 48. The answer? 15.2. We were both off, but alas, we were more off.

Now, when I say the Callahan Family won second place at trivia, what I really mean is my dad, the waiter and the table next to us won second place at trivia. Granted, I did contribute to like, one question, but only in part (The question was: what actor was nominated for an oscar for best actor for playing an actor previously nominated for best actor. My dad says "oh! The guy from Ironman played Charlie Chaplin!" I chimed in "Robert Downey Jr.!" Score). Yep, my dad is pretty much the trivia king. I think that I will be good at trivia once they stop aiming everuy trivia question at the 40-and-over crowd. My mom... she's not so good. Her contribution to our second place win was (illegally!) calling her friends to find answers. I guess they make a good match - the brain and the socialite, together forever.

As mentioned, another contributor to our silver medal was our waiter. The question asked what rapper was in Above the Rim and Poetic Justice. Of course, we had no idea, so my mom shouts to the waiter "Do you know the answer!?" He kind of stares for a second and is like, "Tupac." My mom asks, "Are you sure?" He gives a polite "are-you-kidding-me" look and nods, "yeah, I'm sure." Ha. He probably thought we were ridiculous - a white family from the north asking him who was in Poetic Justice. To make matters worse, my mom was like "Who's Tupac Shaaaacckeerr?" Uh.... embarassing!

Anyway, the waiter's insight, my mom's cheating, my dad's knowledge and my pop-culture awareness won us a $25 gift certificate to the Blue Moon pizzaria tonight. Too bad my dad is the only one with any use for that. Well, I suppose possibly my mom too - since his company flies her down here all the time (spoiled!). I am going to abruptly end this blog post now, because my sister is tempting me with what sounds like a hilarious youtube video. Ma Saalama!

2 comments:

Mark said...

I'd think it would almost be more embarrassing if your mom was like "oh, I know i know, it's tupac!"

and then of course she would start rapping.

Laura Ibsen said...

God is great. The girl jumps.