Sunday, December 20, 2009

Avatar

Last night I somewhat unwillingly acquiesced the request of seeing the new, ultra-hyped movie Avatar. I definitely had my doubts, but all in all, it wasn't too bad. I would say it was a mixture of Ferngully and Dances with Wolves on steroids. The message was essentially a blend of the two. I mean, the indigenous people were dressed as Native Americans. James Cameron wasn't exactly subtle about the similarities.

We went to the 10:00 movie. So by the time 12:30 rolled around and the movie was still going, I'm not going to lie (again!), I was ready to go to sleep. Perhaps, though, I would have felt differently had it been another time. The special effects in Avatar were nothing short of amazing. I still don't know how they did the scenes where the humans and Avatars were holding each other. And, even though I became a bit bored towards the end, no one else with me felt the same. They all loved it.

Apparently it's playing in 3D at select places. Not going to lie, that sounds like motion sickness waiting to happen. Ugh. Though you would have a pretty sweet experience before throwing up so maybe it would be worth it.

So, my uneducated movie review: pretty good. I wouldn't see it again, but I feel like most people would disagree with me.

No comments: