Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Unanswered Prayers.

I'm sick. It's been a miserable three days, and I'm still not completely better. I don't think I have ever taken this long to recover from any sickness - besides the ten days I spent in the hospital in 1988, recovering from pneumonia - but that was so long ago it doesn't count.

With so much time on my hands, and the complete lack of ability to do anything with it, I have been thinking a lot. Most recently, my thoughts stumbled upon a song I heard the last time I was driving in the car; Garth Brook's "Unanswered Prayers." In the song, he talks about how he thanks God for unanswered prayers - particularly the prayer he prayed in high school to marry the homecoming queen or whatever.

This got me thinking about how I used to pray to God every night in middle school that he would let me marry Jonathan Taylor Thomas - Home Improvement hottie and pre-teen idol extraordinaire of the mid-90s. I prayed so religiously that I still remember the exact words of my prayer: "Dear God, please let me live a long, long, happy, happy, healthy, healthy life. Please bless mom, dad, Megan and Caitlin, Grandma and Grandpa, everyone else in my family and everyone else in the world who needs help. And please, please, let me marry Jonathan Taylor Thomas. Thank you, Amen."

See, I used to pray "please let me live a happy, healthy, long life," but then I felt that I really needed to emphasize that prayer by saying those three words twice. That's a side note however.

Anyway, I would like to take this time to thank God for not answering my prayer to marry Jonathan Taylor Thomas. For one, he's probably gay at this point or something, and two, he's like 5'4, and three - there are many other reasons. So, thank you God, for unanswered prayers.

Whew, writing that took a lot out of me. I am going to lay down for a bit and try to get the energy to shower for the first time in days. It will probably take an hour nap or so to motivate my will, so here I go. Amen.

No comments: