Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Money, Sex and Happiness

I think my blog's content is going to consist more and more of random things I find online --- since I'm being a lazy writer lately. I read this blog by Penelope Trunk, and the latest post I read was about money and happiness. Apparently, once your basic needs are met, researchers have found that more money does not make you happy. Social relations, on the other hand, are key determinants to happiness. Here I will begin the P. Trunk quote:

"And by social relations, most researchers mean sex – with one, consistent partner. So consider giving your career aspirations a little less weight than you give your aspirations for sex. For those of you who like a tangible goal, David Blanchflower, professor of economics at Dartmouth College says, 'Going from sex once a month to sex once a week creates a big jump in happiness. And then the diminishing returns begin to set in." He adds, to the joy of all who are underemployed, 'It’s true that money impacts which person you marry, but money doesn’t impact the amount of sex you have.'"

Interesting. I am particularly intrigued by the "one, consistent partner" part.

The things you learn.

Back to my book review presentation.


No comments: