Monday, March 12, 2007

My journey to the heart of darkness

This is how Lonely Planet describes Congo

Democratic Republic of Congo

Africa's proverbial heart of darkness continues to live up to its grisly image.

The Democratic Republic of Congo remains violent, dangerous and notoriously unstable. But should peace ever break out in this long-suffering cauldron of chaos, the potential for adventurous travellers is nothing short of mind-blowing

Hahaha…are you kidding me? I am going to the “proverbial heart of darkness,” which “continues to live up to its grisly image?” “A cauldron of chaos?”

Who talked me into this?? Oh man – I am still excited though. I have come a long way from having anxiety attacks over going to HAWAII. Seriously. The 18 year-old me would applaud the 23 year-old me. Well I guess I will be 24 when my African debut arrives. Hopefully I will reach 25. While traveling in the “cauldron of chaos,” one can never be to sure.

Check back later this week for my analysis on recent news that married Americans are beginning a trend of sleeping in separate rooms. Here's a preview: lame.

1 comment:

Laura Ibsen said...

Here's what I got:

Syria: "The US has issued a strong warning against travel to Syria due to anti-American protests and the possibility of violence."

But then I get this:

Jordan: "Bible stories, lost cities, Lawrence of Arabia - Jordan has romantic associations up to its eyeballs. It's a country that ought to be awash with tourists, but the Middle East's bad reputation has kept them away in droves. Don't be fooled: Jordan is, on the whole, peaceful.



More than that, it's one of the most welcoming, hospitable countries in the world. Where else could you leave your belongings on the street for hours at a time, and find them there when you get back? Where else do total strangers with nothing to sell invite you into their homes?"