Thursday, June 28, 2007

Feeling the HATE

Nope, the following entry will not be a philosophic pandering on the abundance of hate in the modern world. Instead it is about why my friends, the people the very closest to me, hate me. You see lately, I’ve been receiving a string of emails that very plainly point to their feelings of dislike. For example, yesterday, I was minding my own business, sending nice emails to my friends and I check my gmail box as is routine every ten minutes and this is what I found:

A loved one, friend, admirer, or other computer user has sent you a card from someecards.com!

Oh I thought! How nice! So I opened it:


Message: Just thought I’d shoot it to you straight. Anne.

Anne – you just got one strike against a visit by me to Seattle. Strike three – you have to buy my ticket yourself…..

So if that was enough hate for the day, I was talking to my two old college roommates over email. Having a pleasant discussion about the fact that I just turned 24 and they are, indeed, almost 25 :).

And look what their responses to my gentle reminders of their upcoming birthdays were!!!

Tessa: Katie and I may be turning 25, but at least we're not showing early signs
of Alzheimer's Disease and we can remember where we put our cheese

Katie: good call. and tessa and i have hot bodies.

Excuse me! Now they are bashing my weight. So my best friends just called me a) a social loser b) fat and diseased.

Lol.

Aren’t you glad you don’t have friends like me. Time for new friends: TO THE PALACE.

7 comments:

Catherine Doyle said...

Oh Cal. We love you.

www.eharmony.com

Anne said...

Not only do you forget where you leave your cheese, but you also seem to forget that I already bought you a plane ticket (or at least part of one). Now where's the love??

Brett said...

I think I need to send that e-card to some of my friends.

It made me laugh, which made me co-workers look at me weird. I think they think I just randomly laugh throughout the day.

Mike said...

Raise your hand if your co-workers think you have laughing-turrets. It's actually a fairly common disease found in 20-something office workers. I have it. Especially in the mornings and late afternoon.

Dave said...

You told me to "stay tuned for the relationship advice". Was the advice not to be a mullet wielding creepy 30 something hitting on women co-workers out of my league or was it that I'm not too good for online dating?

Not to sound ungrateful but if it was either of those it wasn't very helpful. I don't have to worry about being 30 for atleast 6 years and don't think I'm too into online dating. There are so many nerdy dudes on there, I've got better odds in my engineering courses.

Colleen said...

Ok I am laughing ridiculously hard at all these comments. Yes I have laughing turrets, a very bad case of it to the point that my co-workers think I'm schizo. And Dave - my apologies for not specifically addressing your dating inquiries.
My recommendation to you would be to take my advice of 'you're not too good for online dating,' and go to match.com. BUT since you are having trouble finding a woman that compares to your mom - pose as a 45 year old man only searching for women the same age or older. This way, many of them will be as mature and dominant as your mom.
You will thank me at your wedding.

Also - I'm surprised no one commented that my last line "TO THE PALACE" made absolutely no sense. Oh well.

Dave said...

You propose satisfaction of a very odd and literal translation of my dilemma. That's fairly radical, very early Freudian. Though perhaps the only way I can find the unconditional, selfish and me centered love I seem to require in my relationships is from another mother. You're a genius Colleen, you've changed my life!