Monday, September 17, 2007

My Perspicacious, Extemporanious Prattlings

Prior to signing up for the GRE last week, receiving my study book, and beginning the long, arduous task of studying, I thought of myself as being relatively intelligent.

However, my GRE study book quickly showed me how wrong this arrogant assumption was. Jeez Louise. I thought I had a fairly decent vocabularly. I mean, I can understand most people when the speak - so since I know a lot of people, I would think that would mean I knew a lot of words. WRONG. Ostensibly (what what, I used a big word), everyone I listen to must use the same five words in their vocabularly - because occording to the Princeton Review, I know about five out of a thousand important words in my native tongue.

Seriously people, why does knowing the word "nascent," mean I will succeed in graduate school. These words have no USE!! How will they help me in developing a practical education?? I mean "obviate," "onerous," "equivocate????" when will I ever use these words other than to sound important on paper or in person or in the electronic form of my blog??

Apparently, however, an increased vocabularly means I am a smarter person. Personally, I think it just means you spent a lot of time in a coffee shop memorizing big words. Er, um, "critical," words. But hey, the professors won't have to know that when I casually express they are the "most sagacious teacher I have ever had, and you have given me a voracious appetite for learning."

Ha Ha, boy will I have them fooled. Until I have developed this ability though, my blog has volunteered to help me study for the GRE by making me use a GRE word each time I blog. Pretty soon, not only will I be a more intelligent person, but so will my many, many readers. I hope you are precipitating grandeur my friends....:)

3 comments:

Mark said...

I am sure you will do GREat. And in case you were thinking about leaving a comment on how lame that was...go right ahead. I'll probably never read it and if I do I probably won't understand it because your words are so...big

Mike said...

It's even more embarassing when you meet someone who speaks English as a second language and has a bigger vocabulary than you. Have you gotten to the math secion? That would make me feel dumb - and I used to be good at math.

Colleen said...

Mike - the math section will make me feel as though my IQ is merely a 60. I couldn't even do math when I was in a math class, never the less out of one for 6 years....