Friday, September 7, 2007

Roads Are For Cars!

Ah Summer. This sweet season brings us strawberries, beaches, tans and iced coffee. Let’s face it, we’re all pretty much in love with it. In all its glory, however, there is one reason why I’m glad these warm months are ending; BIKERS. More specifically; ROAD BIKERS.

Raise your hand if you can’t stand road bikers!!!!

(Both of my hands are raised).

Seriously. I have nothing against biking. I mean, I love it - ON BIKE PATHS. But biking on the road is just calling for trouble. I mean let’s say I’m in my little gold Saturn, tugging along at a nice pace, and then BOOM,I see a biker in front of me. This means I have to slow down to “bike speed,” which is like 10 miles per hour because I can't pass the biker on a slim road. So behind this biker are like twenty cars going 10 miles an hour so they don’t annihilate a brightly colored pedaler. In the meantime, they are late to wherever they are going and developing an ulcer from becoming so irritated with the superfluity of bikers that seem to surround Minneapolis.

Why are bikers even allowed on car roads anyway? I mean, it’s not safe. On wrong twist of my wheel and the poor biker is road kill. I don’t want to induce anyone to that fate, and I don’t think anyone wants to sucuumb to that fate – so why bike on the side of the road?

Then, oh boy, THEN there are the bikers that think they can just whiz around sharp corners really fast and onto oncoming traffic. Stop right there Mr.I Think I’m The Road Runner, you can’t survive a million catastrophes like our friend the Road Runner, you’re not the Road Runner! I’m going to hit you if you keep sneaking around like that!

Ugh. MNDOT take note – road bikers are not wanted. Please extinguish the possibility. In the meantime, at least I have one reason to thank Jack Frost’s arrival, because for the next five months, I’ll be free of these two-wheeled burdens.

Cheers:)

9 comments:

Mike said...

Anti-rant:
Colleen, First off, bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks in minneapolis, it's the law and that's why there are bike lanes on roads they disigned correctly. You'd be just as mad if you liked to walk and were always getting hit by bikes. Second, they can go a good 15-20 mph. I guess that's still too slow. Tuche'. Third, even in the burbs road bikes don't go on side walks because going up and down the cubs ruins their wheels and hurts their wrists. I'm not sure what that proves. This is really turning into a sub-par anti-rant. Fourth, cabon footprint, bla bla bla, global warming, bla bla bla, ice caps, bla bla bla, Venice Italy will sink if we don't ride bikes, bla bla bla. Conclusion: don't be mad at bikers, be mad at minneapolis for making it illegal to ride on sidewalks but not making bike lanes.

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

Ah Mike. If I knew how to add blog friends to my blog I would add you. I wonder if I've met you since we seem to read the same blogs....well except I don't read yours. You beat me to the anti-rant.

Yes, bikes are required by law to ride on the street. They are also required to stop at stop signs etc. I do think that some of the bike hate comes from the fact that while drivers are stopping and starting, trying to find a place to park and developing ulcers, bikers are getting great exercise, happy as can be and if they are in downtown they are making it to their destination faster than any driver ever could. Biking downtown is one of my fav places to bike. There are slow moving cars everywhere and it makes you feel like you're going faster than normal because you just keep passing cars. Also, people drive to the gym to ride the stationary bikes. Those are the people that piss me off. I just want to run up to them and steal their People magazine (ok, it's acceptable in winter). Biking makes me happy.

Here is my rant. I hate it when cars park in the bike lanes. They do this all the time. The side of the road is also where all the busted up bottles end up when drunk drivers toss away evidence.

Mark said...

In the time of the butterflies. I read that book once. I don't remember it at all.

Love
Mark

Colleen said...

Well guys. I said I have nothing against biking. But NOT where cars are supposed to be. If there's a bike land - fine! Yeah! But there never is!

Mike said...

Mark,
I agree, we should be blog friends. I don't read yours either but I vow to start. ... Oh, I went to Peru this spring, this is working out well already.

Colleen - have Mark and I met?

Colleen said...

No actually - I don't believe you had. Perhaps someday you will. If Mark doesn't jet off to a distant country again soon like usual. Mark STAY HOME.
Thanks.

Brett said...

I thought roads were purely for me to go-kart in.

Molly Slovnik said...

Colleen will you never love me and my silver bike?