Saturday, November 1, 2008

Changin' Times

While telling a story of her youth, my 90 year-old grandmother made a comment that made me realize the how small the world has become in such a short time. “You know,” she said, “growing up, we didn’t think much of anyone other the Swedish Lutherans.” I was somewhat shocked, thus exclaimed, “But Grandma, did you all believe in God, as Lutherans? And that God created all people?” Shrugging her shoulders she said, “Yes we believed in God, but I guess we just didn’t think that far. After all, I only grew up with people like me, and when I went to college, I went to a Lutheran, Swedish college, and everyone was the same there too.”

My grandmother went to Gustavus. She said it was her only choice, because it was the only Lutheran school sufficient back then. I asked her about St. Olaf University, after all that school has been around awhile and, is Lutheran. She answered like she had never thought of it before. "Oh no, yes it's Lutheran, but it is Norwegian Lutheran, not Swedish." Then she laughed.

Uh, I don't even know what the difference is between Sweden and Norway.

Crazy! Even crazier is how much the world has changed in a relatively short time. When my grandmother was born, women couldn’t vote and while black men were able, society made sure to limit their opportunities by strategically placing numerous obstacles in their paths. Now, either a woman, or a black man will be in the white house. I think that’s awesome.

This thought was brought to you by my scholarship application, when I realized that although the first paragraph had no relation to what the essay on the application was asking, but wanted to keep writing about it anyway. I know, I am pretty deep.

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to add; today, my 90 year-old grandmother is voting for Barack Obama. Changin' times indeed.

No comments: