Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Women's Purpose: To Look Good for Men

I have to relay this comment an anonymous student in an anonymous university class made the other day. It was not a student in my class, I promise. Rather, this comment was relayed to me by an anonymous graduate student. Keep reading if you haven't had your fill of the word "anonymous" yet. Kidding.

In an undergraduate class last Thursday, the professor was discussing the objectification of females in the media, or just how women are portrayed in the media, etc... Anyway so I'm a little vague on the details, but eventually the class dove into a discussion on feminism. You know your typical university discourse - college students with a lot of ideas and no experience. Even still, I was surprised by a comment one student made. Apparently, in the midst of the discussion, a girl raised her hand, and the professor called on her. This is what she said. With a straight face.

"Personally, I think that women's purpose is just to look good for men and help them."

What? Who thinks that in 2008? No, let me clarify; what woman thinks that EVER?

The graduate student who told me this story was obviously appalled. I am really curious as to what has gone on in this student's life that has made her believe she is simply on earth to "look good for men." I kind of feel bad for her. Maybe she just said this to get attention. Why would you go to college if that is your only purpose? I mean, if you're going to college to get a husband, let me tell you from experience, college does not always spit you out with a ring on your finger.

So weird. Who knows. Time for me to pursue more productive activities than blogging.

5 comments:

Mark said...

i honestly thought, based on the title, that this was a response to my last comment...dealing with fashion and women. I was really honored for about 2 seconds. anyway, please give my email to this girl. hahaha, jk.

the real question is, while no woman believes this, would one assume this based on their lifestyle? coming with someone who has no appreciation for fashion whatsoever, i have to say that it often appears as if women do in fact spend way too much time just trying to look nice for men. i doubt that is what they find their purpose in, but regardless, it seems to come in at number 2 or 3 or something in the "purpose list" am i making any sense at all?

Mike said...

I don't have time to read the whole thing, but based on the title, I think you're getting it! Lookin' good colleen, lookin' good.

Colleen said...

you both are dorks! Mark - in response, I think that while many women's life may imply that - Ibelieve they also go to school, get a job, etc...so they do not view that as their only purpose. Also, they do not so much want to look good for me, but rather they want to look good so men like them and then they accumulate more power/satisfaction/status for themselves. But still, that is not all women. We can want to look good and not strictly for the purpose of men liking us.

Colleen said...

plus, i think women spend time looking good for other women just as much. last comment from me.

Meatloaf said...

Alright, so let's be honest here. Why stop with women? Don't most men spend just as much time trying to impress women? Now, when you look at the bigger picture and the fact that a woman said the quote your referencing, it is very troubling (but also socially acceptable, sadly). And while most men would deny the claim that they spend a lot of time looking good for women and they might be able to hide it better, there is definitely another side of this whole equation that works both ways.

Disheartening that self worth can only be found in another (and not just from a women's perspective)? Obviously, yes. Even more disheartening, that society, while beginning to change, still applauds this thought process.

So, while I agree women face more of an uphill battle with in the professional, political, & social arenas, i would not confuse a symptom for the larger problem.

Peace out. Good post. Also, another lesson to be learned here...Everyone is created equal, but that doesn't mean our opinions are. :)