Monday, November 17, 2008

The Etymology of Ecstasy

Lately, I have been diving into this Paul Coehlo novel at night. I have found that novels help me forget about all the homework I didn't do and consequently actually sleep. The other night, Paul Coehlo presented the most interesting insight, and I had to share. So enjoy.

In the book, which is called "The Witch of Portobello" (I definitely wouldn't say it's one of hist best, but it does the trick), he mentions that the word "ecstasy" derived from a Greek word "ekstasis," which means "to stand outside oneself."

Now, the reason I found this interesting is because - and I think this is safe to say - that our culture has associated the word almost strictly with pleasure - and mainly sexual pleasure.

For ecstasy to derive from ekstasis, it makes sense that ekstasis, or "standing outside oneself" was at some point, associated with being pleasurable, right? So the Greeks understood that it was by transcending yourself, your worries, your needs, etc... that a person ultimately found ecstasy. While at times, I supposed this could be obtained through sex, it seems that we are seriously limiting the experience of ecstasy by strictly associating it with sex. If the Greeks knew what they were talking about, this means ecstasy can also be obtained (yeah, yeah, in a different way of course) by serving others, sacrificing, worshiping or anything else that focuses our minds on something greater than ourselves.

Hmmm...this reminds me of something my good friend C.S. Lewis said back in 1950 or 60-something. Let me quote:

"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." - Clive Staples L.

Good quote C.S., like always. I wish I had some insightful line to end with, but it is 1:00 a.m. and I've spent the whole night researching. My "insightfulness" tank is near empty. Surprising, I know. Less surprising, those last three sentences made no sense. Keep thinking about ecstasy and Lewis, and ignore the rest.

No comments: