Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Calcutta: Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity

The reason we came to Calcutta was to volunteer with Mother Teresa's ministry, Missionaries of Charity. On Monday, we went to volunteer orientation. The volunteers consist wholly of Western Europeans, and Koreans. We signed up to volunteer at Khaligat --- the house Mother Teresa set up for the destitute and dying -- during the afternoon. There were no spots for us to volunteer in the morning, so we agreed to help the sisters out with odd jobs around their living quarters during that time.

This morning was our first day of volunteering. We got up early and attended mass at 6:00 a.m. We then ate a breakfast of bananas, bread and chai, before cleaning and organizing around the nuns administrative and living quarters. It was really interesting talking with people there. The sister who is in charge of volunteers is an American. She was in DC before being transferred to Calcutta. Apparently nuns are not really allowed to keep in contact with people in the outside world. They take a vow of poverty so they don't use mail, or e-mail. Their families are allowed to call them, but they cannot call their families, and while families are allowed to visit nuns, nuns can only visit their families once every ten years. That's nuts. One more reason I cannot be a nun. I like e-mail too much. It's very humbling though, observing the sister's commitment to God. They are completely obedient and reverant -- willing to give up anything for Jesus and thus the poor.

We arrived late to our afternoon volunteer post. Navigating Indian streets is pretty much impossible. I road a public transportation bus today, packed with people. Between that and the train I think I'm officially allowed to call myself hardcore. Very intense experiences.

Anyway, despite arriving late we were able to help out a bit. I served food and washed dishes at Khaligat, which is pretty much a hospice. It is lined with beds, where mostly old, tiny women lay. Most of them are dying, but a few will recover I'm told. It's really sad. But, again, really humbling. In the Bible it says that the first will be last, and the last first. I can't help but thinking about that statement as I walk through beds of old women, without anyone to care for them and no means of taking care of themselves. But according to God, they aren't the least of these; they are of invaluable worth. Consequently, serving them should be an honor.

I can't say I totally have the above mindset yet, but confronted with so much suffering, it makes me ponder such a concept more than ever. It's easy to elude suffering and pondering back in the comforts of the U.S. -- for me anyway, not everyone.

Tomorrow, we will go back to Khaligat and the mother house. Thursday we have off and Friday will be our last day. Right now, I'm going to go enjoy some more Indian food and India's famous Kingfisher beer. It will be just the thing to give me energy for tomorrow.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your dad forwarded your e-mail to him on your adventures but I was hoping you would blog!. Stay safe. xxoo Trisha

alayna chamberlain said...

Colleen!!! This is amazing!! Volunteering with the Missionaries of Charity is one of my life goals--ahh I'm so jealous!! Thank you so much for blogging about this! So excited for you for this opportunity...may God use it fruitfully in your life of service!

Deboshree said...

Why hello there Colleen!
I live in India and I'm a bengali and have many relatives in Calcutta. It is humbling to see that people like you travel half way through the world for serving the cause of humanity. Yes, humbling and beautiful!

What made you chose this path my friend?

Much love and happiness
Deboshree

Unknown said...

Hello. I have been searching on the internet for information about Mother Teresa's hospice in Kolkata but have had no luck. I understand its a very informal process but I really have had no guidelines to go by(where to stay, other volunteers to go with etc)BUT I just stumbled upon your blog and am dying to find out some information on how you planned your trip. I really want to find a group of volunteers to go with this summer! I would truly appreciate it if you could email me when you return to the states( or during your stay at the hospice if you have the time!)My email is hlx389@yahoo.com Thank you and bless you for all your hard work!

Jack Garvey said...

thanks for sharing your expeience...you blog came up when I Googled about volunteering there since I will be in Kolkata myself in another week.. like you said, I get that it is an "informal process"... Jack

Unknown said...

WOW! What a great and memorable experience! I also engage myself in different charity works since I was 10. You will feel very complete and happy after helping poor people.

california car donation

Hakuna Matata said...

That was great!! thanks for sharing it.

God Bless!

link to the family international locations