Monday, January 18, 2010

India: Going Home Sweet Home

Twenty-eight hours (or so) and five plane rides later, I have arrived safe-and-sound back at home. Yeah! I just woke up after sleeping for 13 hours, so hopefully I have recovered from the jet-lag. A 12-hour time difference can really get to you. Also, I am VERY upset because somewhere en-route home, I lost my camera! Not cool. ALL my pictures were on there, and my trip-mates hardly took any. Consequently, we are left with no photographic memories of our adventures. So sad. I am praying for my camera's miraculous recovery.

We left Kolkata Saturday night at 7:30. In Minnesota time, that would be Sunday morning at 8:15. Let me tell you, the Kolkata airport was an experience in itself. I was at my wits-end. It is organized VERY differently than any American - or come to think of it - international airport I have ever seen. I would like to advise Kolkata to take advice from New Delhi and re-design their airport. Delhi has one of the nicest airport I have ever seen -- complete with reclining waiting chairs at the gates.

Anyway, we had pretty much an entire day to spend in Kolkata before heading to the airport. We woke up bright and early to spend our last morning volunteering with the Sisters. Jeff (who at 6' 3 is a giant in India, btw), was sent to some remote village to distribute food, and Molly and I had the opportunity to volunteer at a site called Prem Dan. I thought Prem Dan was wonderful. It is a site (established by Mother Teresa and the Sisters) dedicated to serving mentally-handicapped adults. It is located in the middle of a slum (houses thats roofs consist of plastic bags and floors of dirt), but as soon as the gates to Prem Dan open, you find yourself in a clean, spacious and well-kept living area. It's amazing.

I liked Prem Dan more than Khalighat, because you had more opportunities to interact with patients. Mainly because at Khalighat, the patients are too sick to interact with. We spent the first couple hours at Prem Dan hand-washing clothes. When all was rinsed and wrung, we got to head over to the women's ward and spend some time with the patients. Volunteers gave them massages, painted their nails and danced with the patients, who smiled and laughed as they were able. Again, it was incredible to see how much of a difference the work of the Sister's made. These people, being mentally handicapped, are the least of the least. But because of the Sister's dedication, they get to live lives of dignity in a beautifully kept residence. I really don't know if they would be alive without the care of Missionaries of Charity. I'm not sure there is a place for mentally handicapped women in the slums of Kolkata.

So we left our time volunteering with Missionaries of Charity on a high note. We spent the rest of our time in Kolkata eating. I am very sick of Indian food besides one dish: Cheese Masala Dosas. So good. Look them up if you have a chance. It's funny the things you crave while you are away. All I wanted the entire time was a milkshake and a cheesburger. Mainly, because we couldn't eat either. They had shakes all over India, but we were never sure whether or not they were pasteurized and thus stayed away. As for cheeseburgers, well, a good majority of Indians believe cows are gods. Needless to say, it was a bit difficult to find a place serving beef. The first thing I ate when I arrived in Washington was a vanilla milkshake. For dinner last night, Chris graciously made spaghetti upon my request, as good Italian is also in short supply in India.

Right now, I am thinking about heading to Chipotle. Chipotle and I seriously need some quality time, as do I and Trader Joe's. I am so glad to be back. Until you see India, you have no idea how quiet and clean the land of 10,000 lakes really is. Despite its chaos though, India does have its own charms and many intriguing mysteries. Perhaps someday I will find myself back in the land of colorful chaos--hopefully making a difference in some way.

No comments: