Friday, January 8, 2010

India: Sunrise in the Himalayas

So backtracking a bit to the ride up to Darjeeling. I say ride, but it was so much more than that. It was three hours of me hiding gasps of fear as we climbed up windy, seriously bumpy, mountain roads, dodging animals, cars and people, all the while listening to cheesy covers of classic 80s hits like, "Ghostbusters," and "Like a Virgin." It was quite the experience. We were all sick by the time we reached the city, which is built snugly on the side of the mountain, overlooking the Himalayas.

Darjeeling is a quiet town, everything closes down at 8:30. We arrived at 8:15, and thus had 15 minutes to get ourselves to a restaurant or starve. We managed the former and I dined on chicken fried rice and sweet and sour chicken. Let me just say when I ordered sweet and sour chicken I was thinking LeeAnn Chinn's. That is not what I received. Apparently, real sweet and sour chicken is much more sour than sweet, and so not as good as it's American counterpart.

After dinner we went to bed. We got up at 4:15 a.m. the next morning to head to Tiger Hill and catch the sunrise over Kangchenjunga, the third highest mountain in the world and part of the Himalayas. In the distance, you could see the tip of Mt. Everest, thought it looked small as it was fairly far away. It was nothing short of amazing to see the sunrise over the Himalayas, illuminating the peaks in soft pinks and oranges. I was tired, considering I'm not sure I've ever awaken at 4:15 a.m. in my life, but it was worth it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love following your blogs. I get to live vicariously through your travels. Cannot wait to see some pictures. I found your comments on the contrast in living conditions in the mountains versus the large cities fascinating. Dad