Saturday, January 23, 2010

Julia Roberts vs. I

So, I am in my last semester of graduate school, and God-willing, I will graduate this spring. What that means is I will once again need a job. Since the job market is so great right now, I'm sure I will have no problem finding my dream occupation (please note the sarcasm).

Even though it's months away, and I have to complete a very important thesis beforehand, I am totally stressing out about finding a job. See, I don't want to be in a position that bores me to death, or that makes me think of running away to China in order to save my sanity. I want a job that energizes me and utilizes my skills and brings about satisfaction. I know this is a lot to ask, but hey, I believe it's possible! At least I am trying to.

I realized how stressed I was during the moment in which I started crying after watching "My Best Friend's Wedding." Why did I start crying? Because in the movie, Julia Roberts was 27 and had an extremely successful career as a food editor. This meant that I, at 26, with no job as a food editor was not at the top of my game. Yeah, I know it's a movie and I'm in graduate school, blah blah, but rationality has no place when you're stressed out. I forgot to mention that I was sick as well. So perhaps that had an influence on my sudden outburst over Julia Robert's character's success.

The job I want involves, writing, editing, traveling, international affairs, politics, human interaction, flexibility and not sitting at a computer for eight hours a day. If anyone sees an opportunity that matches this criteria, please let me know. God knows what other movie will set me off otherwise:).

I

1 comment:

fuzzypig said...

I can totally relate to how your feeling. I really think that your twenties are some of the hardest self discovery years that we could possibly go through. I know what you mean by wanting to do something that utilizes your skills and that satisfies you enough that you dont wanna run off to china! Journalism or a critic of some kind (that gets to travel...) sounds like something for you