Monday, March 15, 2010

Inner Conflict

I just finished the most disturbing movie. So disturbing that everyone should see it. It's called the Stoning of Soraya M. It's about a woman in Iran who was wrongly accused of adultry to further her husband's adulterous goals, and thus stoned.

The whole movie has got me thinking again. I have always been passionate about furthering women's rights in the world. Especially in developing countries, or theocratic countries where the injustice runs deep.

How do I do that? How does anyone do that?

I'm currently looking for a job. The careers that interest me around here, and the ones I'm qualified for are mainly in advertising or public relations research. If I take a job in one of these fields, am I settling? Or, is there a way to do good for the world, no matter what your career is (well, obvious immoral ones not counting, i.e. murderer, Phillips-Morris employee, etc...)?

For the past few years, I have kind of wanted to be a journalist, because I've loved the idea of telling people's stories. But the true fact is, is traditional journalism is dying. Could there, however, be another way to tell truth, change the world, even if I don't work for the BBC?

I'm really wrestling with this at the current moment. Particularly because I'm really interested in advertising research. But how do I reconcile the things I'm passionate about, like women's development, justice, etc..., with a career in advertising research?

I feel like there must be a way. But maybe I'm just convincing myself of that. But maybe, changing the world isn't so much about the career you have. Maybe, it's about changing yourself, and standing up for truth wherever you find it. If anyone has any advice for me at the moment, I would gladly take it. Especially anyone who works in PR or advertising!

And back to the Stoning of Soraya M. Please, go out and rent it right now. It's a story that definitely deserves to be told.

1 comment:

Shilpa S Kotian said...

http://us.artofliving.org/content-art-living-course

Chk the link out!