Thursday, August 28, 2008

And If You Didn't Think America Was Ethnocentric Enough...

Catalyzed by logic beyond my comprehension, it seems that some Americans want Barack Obama branded with the Scarlet Letter. For those of you who's tenth grade teacher didn't make you read The Scarlet Letter, that would be the letter "A."

Though "A" stood for adultery in the Puritan classic, the echoes of Red America haven't yet accused Obama of infidelity. Rather, they've branded him guilty of a more serious "A" sin, that's right, the sin of being the Antichrist. 

Being the antichrist not a good thing, despite what Marilyn Manson may think. I don't take the figure lightheartedly. 

I do, however, take the speculation that Barack Obama is this ominous, apocalyptic figure somewhat lightheartedly. Mainly for the reason that it's, well, ridiculous. Oh, and completely spurious. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure there's much in the Bible that actually affirms its basis. Plus there's the part that Barack Obama professes faith in Jesus, instead of claiming to be God, like the antichrist has been prophesied to do.

Anyway, the only reason this rumor upsets me at all, is because I think it shows the utter ethnocentricity of many Americans, dare I say, especially conservative Americans. (Disclaimer: In many ways I am conservative, not in this way). So in case anyone is completely lost as to what I am talking about see the TIME article here: 

So basically people freaked out because Obama has like, some similar characteristics of a fictional character, based upon a Biblical character. Here is the press release, from the authors of this book, actually disputing themselves the notion that Obama is the anti-christ.

Anyway, back to the ethnocentricity point. Notice in the press release the author mentions that he sees no reason to believe the anti-christ will be an American politician. Quote: “I can see by the language he uses why people think he could be the antichrist,” adds LaHaye, “but from my reading of scripture, he doesn’t meet the criteria. There is no indication in the Bible that the antichrist will be an American.”

But OF COURSE the accusers just automatically assume that an American politician will be the anti-christ. I mean come on, is there anyone else in the world? No. America is the only and MOST important country, like someone as important as the antichrist would come out of some outside, lesser nation. What a notion!

I mean, Vladimir Putnin? Kim Jong II (North Korea)? Whoever China's leader is? Ha! First of all, who are they? Second of all, they are pretty much harmless compared to America's "Obama Dangerous"! Speculated brainwashing with too much talk of "hope," vs. actual brainwashing through censorship...the former is a much bigger deal. Seriously.

Please people, get a grip. The world doesn't REVOLVE around America. I know this may be surprising to some, but America's actually not even mentioned in the Bible (gasp)! I'd be more concerned with Israel, or Egypt of even Ethiopia for that means. All which are mentioned in the Bible. I mean, if you're going to accuse Obama of being the antichrist, you should at least give him a fair shot by judging him against other "contenders," i.e current, popular, powerful world leaders. My goodness. 

And again, I'm definitely not mocking the concept of the antichrist. I hope this is not blasphemous in any way. I would urge everyone never to put too much hope in a politician, but keep their hope in God. I would also urge everyone to not assume all major events revolve around the good 'ol U.S.A. Well there you have it, two valuable lessons to take away today. Man, I will be a great teaching assistant:).

4 comments:

Mark said...

1. I agree with your assumption that Obama is not the anti-christ

2. Were you saying we are ethnocentric because we think "he" will come from America? I guess I could read it...from the title I assumed it was going to have to do with Kenya or his name or something

3. I am what I call ultra-ethnocentric...meaning I am not worried about the anti-christ because I am from america and we will defeat him just like we defeat all evil doers.

4. One of my friends does this little thing that he calls the blasphemeter....where he sort of rotates his elbow to make his forearm simulate the arrow thing on a meter. i laughed.

5. the first week of school hasnt' even passed yet and i am procrastinating via comment section. i have a test in 8 hours but am having difficulty learning how to amputate a leg because i get lost in the medical jargon. i just want pictures!

Mark said...

still procrastinating. and people only publish stuff like this (i mean the article, not my comment) because people pay money to read it.

And if he really were the AC, should voters not vote for him? Like maybe he rally is AC but if he loses the election we will all win in the end. in the end! lame

Mike said...

I get no credit?!

Colleen said...

should i credit you for sending me the links?? haha. Ok perhaps I will an editors note at the end...:)