Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Intellectualized English Dialect

On Monday and Tuesday I attended orientation for my grad program. Although a bit intimidating, I'm pretty excited about the opportunity it will provide. One thing that may annoy me though is all the "academic speak," put forth by aspiring or current intellectuals. It's really a different language, and I think I may become amazing at translating. 

Here's an example, first in plain English: "So one person says that they copier lady is mean, and now everyone just assumes that she is.

In academic speak: "One person has defined the identity of the operations assistant and now its the dominating ideological hegemony."

Hmmm, maybe I'm not that great yet. I think it will improve as time goes on. The only thing I fear is that practicing my new language may result in the disappearance of friends. A small sacrifice I guess I'll have to make.

Ok I have the day off. SCORE! I LOVE NOT BEING AT WORK!

6 comments:

Laura Ibsen said...

Did you learn about the duel-column method?

Colleen said...

lol. No no, not yet:)

Mike said...

This is the equivalent of starting your first job and thinking meetings and having your own desk is awesome! I predict you'll grow to hate academic buzz words as much as corporate buzz words.

Rock beats scissors and school beats work. You win :)

Colleen said...

haha, I'm definitely not saying I will ever like academic buzz words. And I have a feeling the thrill of school will disperse as soon as I actually have to do schoolwork and stress out. I haven't been stressed out since 2004. This should be an adjustment.

Mark said...

Just relieve them of their classroom hegemony by introducing your navicular to their sphenoid.

Uh, welcome to Mark's world.

Colleen said...

Mark I think you've found a new name for your blog. The Navicular Sphenoid. Can you tell I'm not working since I'm commenting so much? Sheesh.