Friday, December 12, 2008

Has Anyone Heard The Fray's New Song? It Rocks.

The Fray recently released a new single called "You Found Me," and I think it's amazing. Here are some of the lyrics:

I found God, on the corner of First and Amistad; where the West was all but won all along. Smoking his last cigarette, I asked 'Where you been?' He said 'Ask Anything.'

Where were you when everything was falling apart. All my days spent waiting by the telephone, and all I needed was a call. It never came to the corner of First and Amistad.

I strongly recommend listening to the whole song here. I think this song is amazing because it's about faith. Real faith. Not the happy-go-lucky-everything-is-perfect-in-my-Christian-schooled-world type of faith. Rather, this song is about the "I-am-f***-ed-up-fed-up-and-doubting-but-am-crying-out-to-you-because-I-know-you're-still there," kind of faith. This faith is not black and white. It cries out because it knows God is big enough for honesty. It includes many missteps, lots of confusion, but yet still finds God in the midst of despair. On the corner of First and Amistad. You know, Amistad means "friendship" in Spanish. Interesting.

Isaac Slade, the lead singer of The Fray, speaks briefly about the song's meaning on his blog.

I guess I love "You Found Me" because it's lyrics are strikingly reflective of the cries of those in the Bible; cries that aren't spoken of enough. Take for instance, parts of Lamentations 3 when Jeremiah is despairing of what God has done:

"Even when I cry out for help, he shuts my prayer, he has barred my way with blocks of stone; he has made my paths crooked... He has broken my teeth with gravel, he has trampled me in the dust. I have been deprived of peace; I have forgotten what prosperity is..... I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet, I call this to mind and therefore I have hope.

Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed. For his compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness. I say to myself 'The Lord is my portion,' therefore, I will wait for him." Full passage here.

Jeremiah was miserable in Lamentations. Yet he still held onto God's goodness. Which is essentially what Slade talks about on his blog.

Ah. I love it. I am going to listen to this song for the 80th time and pray I don't get sick of it too soon. Other great song lyrics include "Broken" by Lifehouse and "Sympathy" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Just in case you need a little bit more inspiration. Though you should have gotten a ton from this post because I am so inspiring... kidding. I will stop rambling now.


1 comment:

Mike said...

yeah! I love this song. I've listened to it so many times. They definitely have a hit... and a good message. Broken is good too :)