Friday, December 19, 2008

Pop Pop Pop Rock! Best Songs of 2008

Seeing as a new year is rapidly approaching, and I don't have a much else to do for the next month, I think this is an appropriate occasion for My List of the Year's Best Pop Songs. I know, you have been waiting for this all year - and it is with utmost joy that I can say the moment of your anticipation is finally here. The Best Pop of 2008.

1. Leona Lewis, "Bleeding Love" - Let's face it, she's got a killer voice and some dang good songwriters. I was hooked after watching her "X-Factor" performances on youtube. This song is so good that it enables you to look past some rather morbid lyrics ("My heart's crippled by the vein I keep on closing....you cut me open." uhhh... that sounds like murder??) in the name of soulful true love. After a few listens you find yourself wishing someone would cut your veins open so you can "bleed love." Ah. Romance.

2. Coldplay, "Viva la Vida" - Translated Live the Life, this is not to be confused with "Live Your Life," another popular song of 2008. Personally, this Coldplay's Viva la Vida is catchy enough for people like me to like it - yet has lyrics poetic and symbolic enough for those "lyric snobs" (you know who you are....). Plus, the lyrics get progressive Christians excited thanks to verses like "I discovered my castle stands on pillars of sand," or "I hear Jerusalem bells ringing." Good work Coldplay, viva la vida!

3. Flo Rida, "Low" - Thanks to Flo Rida (yes, connect his name and you'll discover his home state...ingenious.) dance floors around the world were suddenly saturated with furry boots, apple-bottom jeans and occasionally, reeboks with "the" straps. From Japan to Minneapolis, Shortys were getting low - even if they had never gotten low before and looked awkwardly stiff in attempts. Though I am now fairly sick of it, this song has to be one of the best dance songs of all time. Even better than 2004's "Yeah!"

4. Beyonce, "Single Ladies" - If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it. Oh snap. Words of truth Beyonce! Mix this truth with ridiculously danceable beats and Beyonce's convincingly strong vocals - and even girls in the darkest caves of break-up despair will emerge into the light for a little dancin'. Well, at least until they start thinking about the fact that Beyonce does have a "ring on it," from none other than Jay-Z. Oh well, at least she understands...

5. Jason Mraz, "I'm Yours" - Welcome back Mr. Mraz. It's been awhile but you've proved yourself awesome again with this one. The beauty of some pop songs is the simple joy embedded within them. Sometimes, you don't want to think, you just want to feel happy. "I'm Yours" makes you feel happy. No complicated relationships, lonely despair or even cash-money & grillz. He's just simply yours. Wonderful.

6. The Fray, "You Found Me" - This song's excellence is explained in full detail about two posts below.

7. Taylor Swift, Any Song from "Fearless" - I cannot single out one song from Taylor Swift's new album, because they are all amazing. It's true, this girl has talent. It is a rare album that fully consists of skip-free songs. In fact, the last of its kind was Carrie Underwood's Carnival Ride. However, I did not doubt T. S. would pull off this feat with her latest release. I bought it right away and it did not disappoint. Her songs just remind me of the naivety and innocence of being a teenager. Consequently, her album produces feelings of nostalgia for my teen years, quickly followed by all-out relief in the assurance I will never have to live those days again.

8. Matt Nathanson, "Come On Get Higher" - Though college students across the nation have loved him "underground" for years, Matt Nathanson has finally hit the radio waves with this latest bit. Sugarland even put a live recording of "Come on Get Higher" on their latest album - which rocks btw. So, thanks to a tip from a friend (aka ANNE), I realized this list would be sub-par without a ode to Matt Nathanson's mainstream debut.

9. Britney Spears, "Circus" - That's right, don't think this list could finish without a tribute to a seemingly recovered Britney Spears. Circus is perhaps her catchiest song since "Baby....One More Time," and coming from me, that means a lot. Plus, the lyrics contain universal truths, such as "there are only two types of guys in the world, the ones that can hang with me, and the ones that are scared" (Spears, 2008). I now have all men figured out. In a way that is entirely irrelevant to me but I'll take what I can get.... Okay so the lyrics aren't amazing, but come on, I mean that's the beauty of it. The beat is so awesome that it enables you to put down your philosophizing for a bit and just dance. Which leads me to my last post...

10. Lady Gaga, "Just Dance" - I love this song. It's freaking awesome to dance to. In fact, I learned how to C-walk to this song, and how to do this slide/moonwalk-esq move. That is how inspiring the song is. I love dancing. It is my favorite thing to do. Like I said (kind of ) dancing is the only activity that enables me to forget my thoughts and worries and, in the word's of Lady Gaga (which btw, out of all the names you could have picked, why would you pick such a lame name. It sounds like a gargle or something.), "Just Dance."

Runners Up - So the first runner-up goes to "Just a Dream," by Carrie Underwood. I had a hard time picking between that and "Just Dance," so they may be tied. After "Just a Dream," additional runners up include "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon (thanks again A), "Love Lockdown" by Kanye, and "Hot and Cold" by Katy Perry.

Additionally, the Holiday Single of the Year goes the Faith Hill for "A Baby Changes Everything." Good work Faith. All time best Christmas Album goes to Amy Grant's 1992 classic, "Home for Christmas," however.

Welp, this has been a fun time. Feel free to disagree with my choices - unless you're taking Britney off the list. Leave Britney alone!

5 comments:

Anne said...

A few things to note:

- I can't believe you left off the global reach of Flo Rida's "Low." They love that crappy song in Italy and England.

- Amy Grant does not have the best holiday album of all time, Mariah Carey does. Hello!!! "Merry Christmas" still rocks and will continue to rock no matter how many inappropriate marriages Mimi enters into.

- I still think you should've added Sigur Ros's "Gobbledigook." A real miss, if you ask me. You never even gave it a shot. I thought you were more open minded than that.

Anne said...

Oh, thanks for the shout outs. I have really good taste in music; it's time people recognize that. :)

Colleen said...

1. I said from MN to Japan! 2. Ok, I did hesitate between MC's and Amy Grant's. MC's may be a tie and if not, a close second. 3. I hate Sigur Ros songs because they have no words and I can't dance to them and occasionally their songs remind of of the sound of dying seals...

Oh and p.s. "they" love that song in Italy and London?? Haha, oh I believe you loved that song in Europe as well:)

Anne said...

I missed the "Japan to Minnesota" comment. Many apologies. Perhaps you should mentioned how dancing to "Low" is a really good quad workout as Kellie discovered. "Shorty got low..."

Laura Ibsen said...

I love how "you found me" by the fray is featured in all the new "Lost" promos. Any band that can combined my favorite deity with my favorite show is alright with me. :)