Sunday, February 18, 2007

Bringing pop music shame...worst pop songs.

Now everybody knows that ever since I first heard Mariah Carey back in 1990, I've been mildly obsessed with pop music. This obsession did reach it's peak in high school with the arrival of NSync. Now, I would just label myself "well-informed."

Friends have always told me that my endless library of pop music knowledge was really a waste of space. But, alas, I have found another use for it, besides choreographing Britney Spears songs: To name the top ten worst pop songs ever, 1997-2007. Although I do have quite the bottomless glass of info when it comes to this area, I will admit, I don't know it all. So I welcome suggestions, but here is a start...
1) E-mail my Heart (Britney Spears, 1999) - seriously Britney, e-mail my heart and say our love will never die??? I would at least want a letter...
2) Every Other Time (LFO, 2001) - I think the lyrics "sometimes we swim around, like two dolphins in the oceans of our hearts," explain this selection.
3) Laffy Taffy (D4L, 2005) - Omigosh I hate this song. This wins the pointlessly dirty song award too.
4) Why I'm Hot (Mims, 2007) - "I'm hot 'cause I'm fly, you ain't 'cause you not!" Wow. Brilliant. I'm going to go around saying that to everyone I disagree with. Genius like that will put people in their place!
5) I'm in Love with a Stripper (T-Pain, 2005) - I'm losing inspiration to describe these lame songs.
6) Uno Noche (98 Degrees, 2000?) - Please, none of you are latin, you are all hopelessly American so don't try singing in Spanish to a latin beat.
7) Stars are Blind (Paris Hilton, 2006) - I think the iTunes review describes this best: "What the hell is this." (excuse the profanity...)
8) To the Beat of My Heart (Hilary Duff, 2006) - Seriously, Hilary, I was a fan of "Why not," but this is like the same two notes over and over, plus the same words over, and over for like four minutes. People are going to go deaf!
9) Grillz (Nelly, 2005) - Grillz are not cool. They look like braces. Don't try to make Grillz cool
10) About us (Brooke Hogan and Paul Wall, 2006) "I'm just tryin' to chill but you're all up in my grill." Brook, hon, you don't have grillz, you're from upper class suburbia. Seriously. Also, nobody is talking about you. Most people don't know who you are. I cannot stand when singers sing songs about how everyone is talking about them.

OK. This is my first-draft compilation. I'm sure I missed a few goodies, I probably have blocked them out of my memory. As noted, I do take suggestions.

OK, I'm really excited to read this book Molly bought. It's on sex, and God, and usually I refuse to read those books because they are super lame, but Rob Bell wrote it and he is sweet. These kinds of things make my nights. Lata.

7 comments:

Nate Smith said...

how about "Steal My Sunshine" (Len, 1999)...mainly for the opening sequence between the two guys...

"--hey Matt..
--Yeah Tim?
--Hey you talked to Mark lately?
--Uh..haven't really talked to him but..he looks pretty uh..down.
--He looks pretty uh..down? (while laughing)
--Yeah well maybe we should cheer him up then
--What do you uh..suppose we should do?
--Well does he like butter tarts?"

Buttertarts??? are you serious? This receives my vote to be in the top ten.

Colleen said...

Haha - you are so right. I HATE that song. Akways have. I think I will have to add that one, perhaps make it the 11th worst song...

Laura Ibsen said...

I tried to google "bad pop songs" and accidentally ended up with the "10 worst Pakistani Pop Songs... ever!" In case you're wondering, "Mhaya Merey" by Mishi Kahn tops the chart.

Molly Slovnik said...

I like that my name has been mentioned in your blog

Molly Slovnik said...

I like that my name has been mentioned in your blog

Colleen said...

OK Anne told me that she couldn't post and she wanted me to post her comments for her. Anne: this is the last time, create an account...rock it.

"In keeping with Nate's "sun" theme, I'll throw in a vote for Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up the Sun." She's awful and the song is awful … songs about the sun are generally awful (except Joseph Arthur's In the Sun, which is brilliant … no pun intended … get it Colleen?? ;-).

I'd like to start a list called The 10 Best Pop Songs Ever and add Christina Aguilera's "Come on Over - the Remix." Holler!"

Laura Ibsen said...

That Cheryl Crow song has to be one of my least favorite songs of all time. I HATE that song. Whenever it come on, I can't get to the radio fast enough to switch the channel. It's right up there with "Mambo No. 5" by Lou Bega.

Good call, Anne.