Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sleepless in Seattle - A Truly Original Title

This weekend, I was sleepless in Seattle. Well during the day anyway, I slept at night I just like the way the phrase “sleepless in Seattle,” rolls off the tongue…. I was, however, a jet setter this weekend. I flew to Seattle for College Reunion 2007. It was a great time and Seattle is an awesome town. I would put it up in the ranks with Portland. There are very few cities I rave about, – besides Minneapolis, the love of my life – so Seattle should be aware of what a compliment it is to receive my praise.

Seattle is a city filled with fish markets, brick streets, ocean bays, Starbucks galore and quite a few bums. It’s clean though, adorably quaint and its surroundings are completely gorgeous. On clear days you can look across the blue waves of Puget Sound and see the snow-capped peak of Mount Rainier in the distance, reigning over the thousands of pine tree-clad hills huddling at its base. There is so much to do, including the Space Needle, which really has no functional significance besides to simply exist. Much like monuments such as the Eiffel Tower, the Space Needle was built as a way for Seattle to show off its architectural expertise during the World’s Fair, which was held in Seattle in 1962.

On another note, my trip to Seattle also opened my eyes to how much I love airports. Walking into an airport just fills me with a shiver of excitement, because I know the next I step outdoors, it will be in a strange city filled with adventure. Whether it is Cancun or Congo, there’s just something so enthralling about being somewhere else, for awhile anyway. I wish I could go somewhere different every week. My employer should really look into that.

I am so blessed to be able to do all the great things I do. Just taking off for a weekend in Seattle to visit some of my best friends and explore a new city, it’s awesome. True, I am back in the monotony of work – but that’s only so I can go on my next trip; Europe 2008. Prince William, British Pubs and Italian Streets here we come!

6 comments:

Mark said...

It's only a matter of vacations before you will begin to dread airports...trust me.

Anne said...

Wow. I feel like I just read a brochure on Seattle. Did you pick one up at Sea-Tac on your way out of town or something?? ;-)

Colleen said...

Dude. That's because it's what it LOOKS like. I love it. And Mark - thanks for ruining my future vacation experiences...jeez...

Brett said...

Seattle is also one of my favorite places. It's probably among 2 cities I'd feel really ok about living in besides Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Also, I'm glad to know someone else feels so awkwardly excited about airports. I even like driving TO the airport. It all seems so exciting/important...even though I've flown a lot, and not always for exciting purposes.

word.

Laura Ibsen said...

I was having a discussion with a friend about Seattle recently. I literally have a dozen or so friend who've said they'd pick Seattle to move to if they were given a choice, or else were literally planning on moving there within the next five years. Aparently it has become a pretty popular place to live in. My friend and I decided that it's new nickname should be "the Uptown of the United States".

And for the record: here we come indeed. ;)

Mike said...

yeah, I love seattle. I think the weather would get depressing though :(

Airports... I used to love them until I started traveling alone and having 7 hour layovers. My biggest frustration with airports is waiting for connecting flights. I always want to leave the airport and explore the city but never have quite enough time.