Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sticks and Leaves

I went for a run after work yesterday, on possibly the last warm day before the chill of our lovely winters kicks in. The warm breeze brushed my cheek as I ran passed the lake. The veins of the trees surrounding it had burst, splattering the once-green canvas of their leaves with yellows, oranges and reds and creating a blazing forest that was quite the scene next to the contrasting deep blue lake. The leaves crunched beneath my tennis shoes, with the occasional leaf falling on my head and getting tangled the messy tendrils. I took another step, breathing deeply, and then suddenly…

A freaking stick hit me, and I quickly woke up from ponderings of the idyllic landscape I would later paint with words. Stupid stick, it hurt and left a big red line on my face. Then a couple more leaves fell on my head and got tangled in my mop of frizz, er excuse me, my “messy tendrils.”

Oh real life. Always waking us up from our daydreams. I realized though as I was running the rest of the way home, that life sometimes may turn out the way we paint it to be. Kinda like, when you break up with your boyfriend, after a horribly stressful relationship, but you miss him so much that all you seem to remember is the good times, because that’s all you replay in your mind, and cry over with Rascal Flatts in the background. Or on the other end of the spectrum, how we think this world is such a horrible horrible place because we wake up and read the news every morning, which points out the worst of the worst from around the entire world. There’s actually a name for developing this complex from the media, it’s called Mean World Syndrome. We tend to think the world is much worse off than it is because all we see is the horror in the news everyday, and not about the girl scout troop picking up garbage or the old couple still in love in the nursing home (oh wait, that’s in the notebook, well you get the picture). For some reason the every day good stuff isn't as publishable -- but it's there.

To do a 180 on the subject with a complete lack of sensical segue ---- so yeah, the GRE, didn't exactly go too well. I pretty much sucked up the math part. So I am taking it again in a month. And trying really hard to study. So the blog may or may not go on temporary hiatus. I'm sorry if the temporary hiatus disappoints. But who knows, maybe it won't be a hiatus. OK, time for bed. It's newsletter day tomorrow, gotta be prepared...

6 comments:

Mike said...

I think I have a case of Mean World Syndrome. Every day when I read the news I'm just hoping to find something uplifting. The closest to good news I've seen lately was, "Fewer soldiers died in Iraq this month than usual." I think that's good??

Maybe I'll start a happy news website.

Colleen said...

There is a happy news website. It's called www.happynews.com

Try it with cheer.

Brett said...

yay.

Joe said...

I haven't had any crazy people trying to kill themselves at work this week...that's good news.

Oh, by the way, all I could think of when I read "tendrils" was Medusa for some reason...and the idea of you battling your "mind of it's own" hair *and* falling sticks while running made me laugh...so thanks. I happen to like the frizz, I think it suits you.

Mike said...

thanks colleen. How ironic that I wanted a happy news site and there's one called "happy news"? I added it to my igoogle so I can be happy each morning. Strait-hair-colleen is debris free. I still need to meet her.

Laura Ibsen said...

I can see why you like "Happy News":

http://www.happynews.com/news/1122007/device-created-red-wine-headache.htm