Sunday, October 14, 2007

What's Long Division?

Countdown to the GRE - two weeks. Two weeks,which I recently realized will have to be jam-packed with fractions, decimals, geometry and probability. I've always known I suck at math, but evidently pitching it out of my life for six years has made my quantative problem-solving capabilities a hundred times worse. I mean, the other week at Wine Night, someone actually had to teach me how to do long division and multiplication (THANKS KERRY). How pathetic is that? And I still don't really know how to divide by hand - throw some square roots, x's and y's in there and if my mind could crawl into a fetal position -- it would. But I don't think it can, so instead it starts reviewing celebrity couples and hit pop songs.

I just hate math! It's so useless -- why do I need to know how to do these problems? Is there going to be some time in my life when I am without a cell phone, computer or plain calculator and urgently need to solve 5, 43980 x 5209? NO. Unless like, I get kidnapped and they won't let me go until I solve a bunch of math problems...sounds like a good scheme for Al Quaeda...So why do I need to do it on the GRE?!!! Ugh! We even got to use calculators for the ACT people!

The verbal section is still a toughie too -- but much easier than math. All I have to do for the verbal is memorize a bunch of big words. Memorizing words is actually useful too -- because you can use them in choice situations to make people think you are smart. Or you can write them on resumes because corporations are freaking pretentious and appreciate using all the big words they can get.

Speaking of work, they told me I wasn't "detail-oriented" enough at work. Which, I'll admit, I'm not. Why? BECAUSE I HATE DETAILS. I think maybe, I have the wrong job -- or maybe, I just need to become good at details even though (in Katie's words), they make me want to shoot heroin in my eyeballs and die. I might not be writing in my blog as much as I have been, because turns out now they want me to actually work at work, aka, manage every little DETAIL of the newsletter, aka shoot heroin in my eyeballs and die... No no, it's not so bad, well the details part is, but the rest isn't. At least I have something to do - just not something I could do forever. I'll give a killer blog shout-out to the person with the best suggestion as to what I should do with my life. Ready-set-go.

This blog had no sensical transitions or point. I am sorry. I just wanted to complain about work and math in the same blog and I couldn't figure out how to do it sensically - since the only math I do at work is counting my paycheck or how many hours or vacation days I have left. OK I'm going to go now and stop this non-sensical prattling.

Peace in the Middle East.

5 comments:

Mike said...

I recently decided the reason we learn math isn't so we can solve everyday problems but to train our brains to think abstraclty and logically. Testing your math skills is just a way of proving you learned to think like that.

I also recently decided you have a phobia of being kidnapped. It's a sublte but strong theme for you :)

Colleen said...

What? Where else to I hint to my fear of kidnapping?

And are you saying I can't think abstractly...:)

Mark said...

People who are good at math are less likely to get kidnapped. Because they are so logical they avoid situations where they might be kidnapped. Also, kidnappers don't want to deal with these types of people cause they can be difficult at times....just to put up with I mean. While I can't say I am good at math...I do have math skills when it comes to anything I learned before 10th grade. Needless to say, I have never been kidnapped.

Mike said...

Between you and me, only one of us has kidnapping insurance ;)

Colleen said...

I win.