Monday, May 21, 2007

Getting Drugged Up

I just got poked with six needles. It wasn’t too bad. Not the hysterical pain I remember as a youngster – but the soreness is slowly spreading through my arm now. I'm not going to lie, the mass amount of vaccinations and prescriptions I received this past hour at the Travel Clinic have made me a bit nervous. Or maybe it was the fifty-page packet they gave me detailing the diseases in Africa and the meticulous precautions we need to take to avoid them. Well, the fifty band-aids on my arms should be a start.

It’s just so funny that they have these diseases somewhere. I mean, I hate to sound naïve but seriously. Polio? Yellow Fever? Malaria? Not going to lie, I thought those were all eliminated in 1955. And they were, over here. Sad.

I got a few goody prescriptions, including Ambien. Yeah:). That will knock me out good on the plane ride. Just what I will need to prevent a massive panic attack as the African plane I am on begins thrusting back and forth over the Kenyan countryside. I really wish we could fly Northwest Airlines all the way to Nairobi. Ohhhhhh… I’m sure I will be fine.

Anyway, the trip is coming up. Two months away, I can hardly believe it. It doesn’t really seem like I’m going. I can’t let it feel like reality though, because then I won’t concentrate on work. Which I have to do now, so I will go. But don’t worry – you will never get polio from me. I am full vaccinated.

7 comments:

Nate Smith said...

actually colleen, kenya airways was better than northwest. at least in my book it was...

Dominic said...

A "vaccination hangover" is a small price to pay for keeping things like malaria away. I was helping treat a University student who came into the ER with malaria about a month ago. I'll spare you the details but needless to say she wasn't vaccinated.

Anyway, that's awesome that you are getting the chance to see a part of the world like Africa. And, uh, happy late birthday. =)

Mark said...

I was thinking of not commenting on this blog just cause you were like "oh mark always comments on everyone of my blogs because i'm so cool blah blah blah." But I just wanted to let you know that if your plane crashes over Kenya and you survive, you should send me an email cause I have friends there.

KJ said...

If you need them Mike has some gypsy tears which will just about cure you of anything and everything... thats what I depend on if I get some strange italian disease.

Colleen said...

How can I get my hands on these gypsy tears!!!

And Mark - you will be the first person I email if I am the only survivor of a plane crash in the middle of kenya. I'm sure they have lots of computers in the jungle.

Laura Ibsen said...

Colleen - it's common knowledge that if you survive a plane crash you'll end up on an island with mysterious goings-on and tons of hot guys. We should all be so lucky. :)

Colleen said...

Haha - this is completely true. I would almost crash the plane myself if that meant I got a chance to be with JACK (well o.k., only if no one died in the crash people...)