Thursday, May 24, 2007

Who is this kid?

It’s true, ever since last week’s commencement of my 24th year, I’ve been undergoing an “Omigosh I’m getting old pretty soon I’ll have wrinkles and cancer,” crisis.

Luckily, my colleagues at work are quick to remind me otherwise; perhaps a little too quick. Maybe I’m too sensitive, but I’ve gotten the “who is this kid” vibe enough that I prefer to email rather than meet in person because then, people can’t tell my age. Even the phone isn’t safe. I was talking to a woman the other day on the phone and she was like “you sound young, did you just graduate?”

No, no I did not.

Please, I’m 24 not 14. Apparently, some people here aren’t used to dealing with members of the human race below age 30. Unless of course, those members are their sons and daughters, to whom I’ve been compared many times. Yesterday I got the “My son is older than you,” comment. The other week, I was casually existing in the socially-awkward cave we call an elevator, when an older fellow turned to me and said “Do you work here?”

I looked at him a bit surprised – considering I had my badge on. “Yes,” I replied.

“Oh, ‘because you look the same age as my daughter and she’s in college.”

“Oh.” (Uncomfortable laugh from me – what am I supposed to say??)

When I first started the CFO – who is really great actually – walked past my desk and commented on how dark it was. But then he was like “oh you guys don’t need light, I know because my kids work in the dark all the time.”

His daughter’s 17.

And my favorite: “I’ve worked here for 18 years, probably longer than you’ve been alive!”

Again, no I am not 18 – although, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. Also, I cannot believe someone would stay in one place for that many years. Seriously.

Let’s be honest, while I am thrilled that I look so “young” – it can work against you as you are trying to gain responsibility and respect in conservative institution. So I was thinking about getting a plaid suit with giant gold earrings and wearing my hair in a bun at work. Or getting rid of my iPod.

Ha – no way, I’ll never get rid of my iPod.

7 comments:

Anna Rickert said...

I hear you Colleen. Except I always get it from my students. "You're younger than my sister." "Oh, I didn't see you there, I thought you were a student." Go Gen Y.

Unknown said...

Ha ha, I hear you too. My favorite so far is: "Is it legal to hire people as young as you?" Seriously. I can't look like a 14 or 15 year old. Where's the dignity in that? I am a real employee, 10 years older than you bozo thought I was and I actually have responsibility! Yep, I'm a Gen Y, with my ipod plugged into my laptop at all times, cranking out the budgets to Sean Paul. :)

Mark said...

if you and biso still live by me when we are old enough to get the seniors discount I will take you both out to eat. May 20th 2050. Mark it in your gmail calendars. I am taking you guys out on a date. I will start planning now so it should be really special.

Colleen said...

Ugh - 2050. That means I'll be 66. I can't imagine being alive until 2050! You know mark - why don't you take us out now. The student discount is the same as the senior discount...

Julie said...

The plaid suit sounds like a lot of fun, where do you think we could get one of those?

Mark said...

well it wouldn't be as much fun because I wouldn't have had as much time to plan it. besides, since you are both single girls in your early to mid-twenties i feel as if it would be awkward asking both of you guys out on a date at the same time. however, by the time we are seniors all the awkwardness will have left us (or we will at least be used to it). We will probbly need a break from our nagging spouses as well.

Mike said...

yeah... I've definitely got the "my kids are older than you" comment. On my 23rd birthday my 70-year-old-marathon-running coworker told me he would be dead before I was ever half his age. Oh well, corporate America needs us youngsters who haven't lost their souls yet, we're the only ones capable of creativity :)