Sunday, May 13, 2007

I am older, but SO much wiser

I turn 24 in 2 hours. Literally two hours too, since I was born exactly at midnight, well supposedly. I could've been born at 11:59 or 12:01. The doctors let my parents pick my birthday, either the 13th or the 14th. They obviously picked the 14th because it was a Sat., and they didn't want me being born on Friday the 13th. Thanks for having my back mom. Anyway I was fairly depressed about entering into my "mid-twenties," until I decided to reflect on years gone by for nostalgia's sake. I stumbled upon my old diaries when I was at home in Hastings today - and after reading them - I'm not going to lie, I'm a little grateful to be 24. Can we say stupidity of youth??? So, in humility, I am going to share one with you today, simply for humor's sake, and as an encouragement to embrace the wisdom that has come with our "aging." (OK I know we are still young, but it's still rough). So here you go. NO making fun people - I was 14.

3/5/98 - Dear Journal, Tomorrow we begin our 18-hour journey to Colorado! I'm just going to write a little story about how I dream the trip will be, okay!
(this is the story...hahahaha, spelling not corrected) I pulled myself toward the chairlift. I groaned when I realized that my companion left me alone for a twenty minute ride up the hill.

"Wait, wait!"

I looked back.

"Can I please ride up with you? My friends are waiting for me at the top."

I was looking into the face of the cutest boy in the world. "Sure," I said. Yes! Yes! Yes! I was thinking, I couldn't believe my luck! "So what's your name?"

"Jack Matthews," he replied, "and you?"
a
"I'm Colleen, I'm from Minnesota."

"You are? Me too! What town?"

"Hastings."

"I'm from Woodbury."

"Neat." This just keeps getting better. We got into a conversation and started flirting.

"You know, you're pretty cute," Jack caught me offguard but I quickly got back in. I smiled sweetly.

"You're not that ugly yourself."

"Do you want to come skiing with me?" He asked.

"Sure but I'm not very good and my sister has to tag along.
uld
"That's okay, we'll ski easy."

So that's how me and Jack hit it off. He was 16 by the way, and because of him I had the best vacation ever!


CONVERT BACK TO REAL TIME
Hahahaha. I can't believe I just shared that with everybody. That was my pathetic little 14 year-old self. I didn't even include the songs I made up (seriously "Royal Blue Princess" would've been a hit) or the conversations I included with the boys I liked (Today I ran into (name) I said "Hi _________!" He said "Hi Colleen!, how's your dating life?" Then he got distracted. I wonder what how's your dating life mean -does it mean he likes me or he wants me to like someone else...) Ohhhh I feel SO much better about turning 24. I mean if I this smart now, just think of how smart I will be at 30;)

Moral of the story - getting older isn't so bad - well at least until you turn 35. Then your fertile years are over... OK peace out, and happy birthday to me. I've made it this far, and hopefully will have a lot farther to go.

4 comments:

Nate Smith said...

oh colleen. you're great.

Mark said...

You're lucky that I have to log in in order to leave a comment. Otherwise I would leave one about how it was a true story and my name is Jack Mathews.

Laura Ibsen said...

Or Matthew Jacks, same difference.

Unknown said...

Ha Ha!!!! That's hilarious, Beanie! Now we know the inner workings of your 14 yr-old self!