Thursday, May 17, 2007

Letting go of an era

I've made up my mind. I'm buying a new Mac tonight. This is a big step for me - I've had my dinosaur computer since 2001. It's shared a lot of formative years with me, but recently I've realized it's time to let it go. I was going to wait to get a Mac - so I could pay cash for it, but a couple of recent signs persuaded me to just go ahead and get the job done.

One sign was the woman at Best Buy I talked to today. I was asking her about computers, and she asked me what computer I had now. "A 2001 Gateway," I ashamadely replied. A look of shock briefly swept her face. She's like "oh! I didn't even know computers could last that long!"

The other thing is that Dinosaur recently lost it's keyboard - so I've been having to copy and paste letters from old word documents to sign into gmail and facebook. I cannot reply to anything though, just look, because copying and pasting a reply is a little too tedious. So this is a serious handicap.

Also two nights ago for no apparent reason my computer went schizo, and hasn't stopped. It now subsequently turns on and off by itself like every twenty minutes or so. Awaking me in the night with brief glows of it's neon blue screen. I would just turn it off - but I'm afraid that if I do, I wouldn't be able to get it started again because last time was iffy. And I have lots of music I need to save.

So it's time to get a new computer. Thank you interest free financing and my current corporate job. I know my life will get fifty times easier, and you all will receive way more facebook wall posts from me.

5 comments:

Laura Ibsen said...

Colleen,

I once had a cell phone that worked fine for the first year I had it. Then, for seemingly no reason, it started to vibrate and would not stop. I couldn't do anything with it - the buttons would not respond. So, I had to take it in and get a new phone. I think it's some kind of conspiracy. I mean, come on. They can't make technology that lasts?

I used to have a walkman that I repeadedly dropped on the ground/concrete from high altitudes when I was little. It never stopped working - ever. Hell, I'm sure that my parents still have it in storage somewhere. Even with the water damage I'm sure it's suffered throughout the past 15 years, if I threw my "Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em" tape in, it would probably STILL play perfectly.

But, tip of the cap to you for choosing to tech-up on a new mac.

Mark said...

Colleen, just think...we just spent about 2 hours in the same room about 10 feet apart and we never said a word to one another. What happened?

Colleen said...

Well Mark - perhaps you can make up for it tonight. We are going to eat food from your favorite country: Japan.

Mark said...

FYI I am allergic to tuna and don't eat sushi.

FYI Why do I need to make up for it, you are supposed to initiate conversation.

FYI I am not sure if I am coming tonight. I guess since Jeff N is going I might go cause he is like my brother.

FYI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdmqBmiEZd4

Mike said...

I might have you beat... I going to start using a 2000 Dell. It'll work, it's more about windows being screwed up than the actual computer being a problem. Wow, I'll stop at this level of nerdom before I embarass myself. Regardless, I'll be able to check facebook and gmail, that's all I need at home since I have 7ish hours a day at work to do 'real' interneting.