Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I’d rather not meet at the convenience store. Thanks.

So I don’t like to write about this kind of stuff, but I just have to comment on this one. So today, I was minding my own business, writing some good ‘ol creative work on like the Settlement Department and an with the familiar alert beep, a new message popped up in my inbox. It said:

Subject: Hey!

I would like buy you a soda or something on this hot summer day. What do ya say?

Ron
(the woo guy)

Just from the name. You can tell this might be trouble. I have met this guy once at a Discover your Strengths class – his was woo, hence the woo, and I would say he is upper thirties. Which, I guess doesn’t matter too much, but still, not really what I’m looking for. So I was like, great, what am I supposed to say because I could run into him in the halls at any minutes. After pondering for a bit, I wrote back that I was really busy today and had to be out by five, but thanks anyway.

My co-worker said that he would write back. He bet that he would. “Look you’ve got a suitor! If you don’t tell him you have a boyfriend waiting for you at five he’ll write back.”

I disagreed, I thought he would get the point. The other guy who sits next to me asked what we were discussing, so I showed him the emails, and his reply was:

“That guy, he’s a total creep, I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten fired for sexual harassment. He hits on all the girls! You really missed out too, before he had a mullet.”

Great, not really what I wanted to hear. Sure enough, not long after I sent the not-so-apologetic “I’m busy” email I get a response back again.

Re:Hey!
“Ah yes deadlines, gotta love them. I'll try you back later in the week. Maybe we could meet in the Atrium and grab something from the little store, If that's cool with you!”

Now he wants to grab something from the convenience store. No no. Listen up people: Work email is an inappropriate place to try and ‘get to know someone better,’ or get a soda owhatever you call it. And, a diet Pepsi and some Funions are not going to tempt me into making an exception. Especially, if you are over thirty five. Thank you.

Epilogue – I just found out this gets creepy. Apparently, this guy sent the copier repair man up to my floor to 'find stuff out' about me. So the copier repair man came up and starting asking the front secretary all these questions. She was a bit confused. Then he wandered over here to find out what I do and where I work - without saying a word to me. Creepy? Yes. Who send the copier repair man up to spy on someone. How is this my life? (thanks for the phrase Anne)

1 comment:

Laura Ibsen said...

Well - at least its good for blog entries. That's what I try to think when inordinately strange/creepy things happen to me.