Monday, June 25, 2007

Way to Save Africa People! Now Drink My Keg.

Today I pulled up into my office parking lot at 7:45. Like usual, I was fifteen minutes late. Not so usual, I had a giant keg in the back seat of my car. I really hope no employee of supervisoral status was observing me as I fitted my car between the yellow lines. I did my best to sneakily hide the keg from view, but the sun reflecting off its large, steel surface didn’t really help me out too well. Neither did the fact that the thing takes up like the whole backseat.

My lonely, fat keg lost its twin on Friday night at our HEAL Africa party. The left over keg is most stubborn of the two because even though it saw its partner disappearing, it refused to be emptied. And as punishment, it now has to reside in my hot car until I find some way to get rid of it. This way is yet unknown to me so if anyone would like to drink a couple gallons of stellar, tasty Rolling Rock, please send me a memo and we can work something out. Maybe we can tap it during lunch sometime? Lunch break anyone? I think I would like a Rolling Rock lunch break, work has been pretty dang LAME lately.

Anyway, regardless of the leftover keg, our benefit party was pretty successful Friday night. So thanks everyone who came! We raised over $700 for HEAL Africa, of course this donation will be offset a little bit due to the unexpected beer prices that were endured Friday night, but hey, Africa will still get a lot of money anyway. Thanks to you, my generous friends. Who needs The Fray when you all already know How to Save a Life (cheesy song allusion, sorry). When I head over to Afrique in a few weeks, Harper said that I can hand pick where our donations go. So, if anyone has some input, please advise.

A few weeks, man, I am leaving in 3.5 weeks. Still seems like kind of a long ways away to me, especially since that’s like 25 work days or something. I am only waiting on my passport. And I suppose I will have to take a trip to REI or Target for supplies. The second night of our trip, we are staying at the famous “Hotel Rwanda,” otherwise known as Les Milles Collines. It is located in Kigali, Rwanda. Don’t worry, no one was killed at the Hotel during the genocide. Plus, it looks a little different because the movie was actually filmed at a Hotel in South Africa. Those Hollywood tricksters. From Rwanda, we will trek across the border to Goma and from there we will HEAL Africa. I promise to wipe the continent free from AIDS in 12 days straight. Guaranteed.

Ok maybe not. Let’s face it, I can even solve the problem of my left over keg. I have a lot of work to do...

No comments: