Thursday, January 22, 2009

Madness, Excitement and a New President

Welp, it looks like we here in the U. S. of A. have a new president. The Inauguration was crazy. Wow. In fact, in the words of Biggie Smalls, I feel like “it was all a dream.” I have not read news of the Inauguration, so I am not aware of the event's details. I only know what I saw; millions of Obama-fans on steroids, the decorated face of the Capitol, policemen and members of the FBI, caravans of black cars, and slight glimpses of politicians, musicians, poets and preachers on the Capitol stairs welcoming in a new political era.

The ticket I had was purple, so it got me onto the Capitol’s lawn which was really close. I am grateful I got in - as two minutes after we showed our tickets and thrust ourselves through the gates security closed them off. This was not cool, because our section was ticketed. Everyone with tickets was supposed to have a spot. My section, the purple section, was closed off first. Right now on facebook there is a group called "The Purple Tunnel of Death," which is made up of purple ticket holders who didn’t get through the gates. They are noooot happy. In fact, right now, there is an investigation underway trying to figure out why they didn’t get in. Purple tickets were great tickets. So the people who did not get in were like state campaign managers, delegates, etc...; people who worked hard and deserved to see the day's spectacle.

Anyway. Back to my experience.

Rumor has it that there were millions of people on Washington Mall that morning. I wouldn’t know. I could only see the crowds in front of me, which were significantly smaller than what was supposedly behind me. Though I was close, my view of the Inauguration stars was pretty blocked by the bleachers hugging both sides of the stage.Thankfully, my other senses took in what my eyes could not. I could hear the cermony’s speakers for sure. More importantly though, I could practically taste unity while sandwiched between strangers, feel the vibrations of the crowd's excitement and hear the cheers of millions who came out to witness history.

To be continued… as I have to go to class for the first day.

No comments: