Sunday, January 18, 2009

Obama-Mania Day 1

Today has been fun. It has consisted of a series of random events that make me love my life - and thank God. So I wake up late, but make my plane anyway. I end up in Charlotte, NC. At Charlotte I discover that I will be in Baltimore, MD 4 hours earlier than expected. This means I can make the inaugural opening ceremonies. Yeah! On the plane from Charlotte to Baltimore, I initiate conversation with a nice couple next to me. They offer to drive me from Baltimore airport to DC. This is amazing. Especially considering I had no idea how I was going to get to DC from Baltimore. So this same couple gave me their address and phone number in case I needed anything - including a place to stay. Holler. She was a minister for a Unitarian Universalist Church. Very nice woman.

So I arrive in DC. Sarah meets me, and we go to the concert on the mall. My mouth seriously drops open as I step out onto the Washington Mall for the first time. It's like all those things I've seen in the movies become real. There, in front of me were thousands of people, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, The Capitol, and Jefferson Memorial. A couple of steps later, I see the White House. I have never seen these before. They are freaking awesome. Plus, the vibe in the city is ridiculous! Everyone is so excited, and everyone is from everywhere! I already met some sweet peeps - one who is down here training for the foreign service, which I totally want to be in someday.

Anyway, we went to the opening concert but were really far away. EVERYONE and their mother performed; Bon Jovi, Bono, Beyonce, John Mellencamp, Usher, uh... Samuel L. Jackson, Garth Brooks, and of course, a speech from the man of the moment: Obama. So the locals here are capitalizing on the prolific influx of visitors by selling everything and anything "Obama." The best product I've seen so far were Obama essential oils. Ha. Which basically, were these little bottles of sweet-smelling oils plastered with Obama's face. Sarah literally turned to them and was like, "Good luck!"

Now, we are going out on the tizz-own. I am pumped! There are people here from everywhere! Ok time to go. Thought I'd provide an update!

2 comments:

Mark said...

you're on a roll. get married

Anna Rickert said...

Wow, I am so jealous of your life right now.